Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone feed a raw diet?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't give our dog raw bones at all. There is the mess involved, and I don't want the risk of a splinter passing thru the digestive tract. The raw pre-mix that we use has some ground bone. I add a little bit of finely ground egg shell (cleaned & baked to sterilize) once or twice a week for calcium. Human grade calcium carbonate or citrate can be added at a rate of 900mg per lb. of raw food, too. That's all I know, but seems sufficient. The dogs do need their calcium, just like humans do.

Actually, I gave Sophie a beef short rib (don't know if you have these in the UK and Ireland) and she looked at it as if it were a foreign object. She kept looking at me, as if to say, "what do I do with THIS?" I finally picked it up and never tried it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I gave Sophie a beef short rib (don't know if you have these in the UK and Ireland) and she looked at it as if it were a foreign object. She kept looking at me, as if to say, "what do I do with THIS?" I finally picked it up and never tried it again.
    That's the same reaction my 2 had when they were fed kibble! I ran out of the raw and gave them kibble in a pinch, and they were like "how do I eat this weird stuff?" They also have trouble eating human food that falls to the floor, like chips - they can chew through a raw bone with no problem, but have no clue how to eat a pretzel or chip if it falls to the floor! They try to eat it, then spit it out after a while...I guess it all depends on what they're used to!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think choosing a food is a really hard desision to make at the best of times. There are soooo many types out there and it would be very confusing for a novice owner- I know I was.

Ive been feeding the same thing for around a month - two months now and am really happy with the results.
    I buy Burns Dry kibbble, prime choice frozen raw meat (lamb, tripe, chicken) and Natures Choice frozen veg/fruit nuggets.

Charlie has the meat added to his kibble (around 50/50) and feeds twice a day.
    Ruby has 20/20 meat/veg and 60% kibble. Twice daily. I have lowered the amount of kibble she has and she has lost a bit of weight since being on that PLUS she has never been more excited about meal times.

Charlie is slowly putting weight on and Ruby is slowly loosing it- so All in All very sucessful. They both get the best of both and neither one is loosing out.
    Couldnt be happier- well apart from the smell of tripe in the fridge of course!!!!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

I have seriously looked at feeding raw, but due to some of the risks involved I have decided to go with a little bit of top quality kibble and cooked meats/veggies and fruits. It works for us quite well
    Marjorie

"when a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
    Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

i am careful with bones. felix got a lot of bones where he was before he came to me, and his teeth were very worn down. also i fear the condition, which in german is called 'bone stool', (i don't know the english term), where the stool is all white and very hard, sometimes so hard the dog can't pass is and must be operated.
    the girls get ribs form young animals, which they eat in no time at all, og 'soft' bones like breatsbones of veal, lab's necks or tails of veal.
    sometimes the occasional chicken carcass, without the legs. only i think chicken is rather inferior food, from a nutrition point of view. at least in dk most chickens live in big farms, never coming outside, never seing the sun, and being fed to become as big as possible in the shortest possible time. i am not sure, that there is a lot of nutritional value in them.

the theory that eating bones keeps dogs' teeth clean and healthy is just that. a theory. bella and sienna need to have their teeth brushed regularly, bones or no bones.

to make sure they get sufficient calcium, also to neutralize the phosphor in their meat i add a clacium supplement ot their daily food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This group might be of interest :-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BritBarf/

Nanette
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

"I cook meat, because in my opinion dogs are not natural hunters, but natural human waste eaters. And humans who cook have have cooked leftovers, which makes cooked food the ancestral diet for dogs."

Just an interesting quote from canine behaviourist Silvia Jay, who also has a nutritional background and used to own and run a dog food service.
    Marjorie

"when a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
    Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

I feed half & Half to keep Sparky at the right weight - he has fish4dogs kibble in the morning with a spoonfull of raw mixed veg then in the evening he has either 1/2 tin of sardines or 1/2 a chicken wing or turkey/beef/lamb mince all with a tablespoon of raw mixed veg.

I prefer to give raw meat as theres none of the nasty additives of dog meat & I know what they're getting.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I only ever feed mine on both cooked and raw veg and 98% raw meat and loves the occasional piece of fruit. I have no weight or allergies problems and she has a wonderful shiny coat, and NO doggy smell.

My last dog passed away when she was almost 13 and the vet was very impressed with her teeth and gums, even up to her last days.

So I would feel that it maybe the best way to go....
    Rachael