• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hiccoughs anyone?

dyrojo

Does anybody have a cavalier that often gets hiccoughs?

Jesse seems to get them every now and then (at least thats what i think it is :confused:). Is it normal for a dog to get them? She's only 6 months old so was thinking it might be a puppy thing.

Whenever she has them I tend to rub/pat her tummy and move her about and they usually disappear after a few minutes.

Just never experienced this with any other dog before

Search
'cavalier reverse sneeze' there are other names for it. Trachea collapse for one.
I heard someone thought their cavalier was having an asthma attack and ran her to the emergency vet. By the time they got to the vet, nothing was wrong.

Most likely just reverse sneezing -- it is very common in the breed. The vast majority of the time it is harmless -- if you gently cover their nostrils and tilt the dog's head forward it generally stops in seconds. In rarer cases there can be a more serious problem.

See: http://www.cavalierhealth.com/brachycephalic.htm

Rylie definitely does get hiccups from time to time and it's nothing at all like the reverse sneeze. It's like a hiccup;) so I know what you mean. I only notice if he's lying on his back and I can see his little stomach move. It doesn't seem to bother him and it doesn't last long. Mindy does the reverse sneeze and Max doesn't do either (although I don't recall Mindy doing it when she was young either).

Back