• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bateson report

Bateson Report

Just read the Kennel Club's Reply on the Bateson Report,one interesting mention is that the Kennel Club is concerned that the Report could have gone further ,that the Kennel Club would have liked to have seen regulation for Compulsary Health Testing.

That the KC is now working towards UKAS Accreditation of the of the ABS as suggested by Professor Bateson.

The KC want the Veterinary Profession to gather Data to show the Prevelance of Certain Diseases ,and that an Advisory Council should develope Evidence based on Breeding Strategies.

The Advisory Council whose members will work with the Kennel Club to advise on decisions about Breeding and Health .

Sorry, that was my round about way of trying to make a point. There are people that are pushing the reason cavaliers aren't healthier is because they are so inbred. I know of many cavaliers that have higher COI's and are living long and healthy. There are many signs when animals get overly inbred and one of them is lack of fertility.

Sandy, by many studies on other animal populations, and by the two studies done on dog breeds, a higher COI is riskier regarding longevity, but that is on average. Of course when you are looking at averages, there will be individuals that don't fall within those parameters. They don't disprove the average.

When people are talking about the reason for the troubles in Cavaliers being the inbreeding, they are not talking just about individual COI numbers. They are talking about the heterozygosity of the breed. They are talking about the effective population size.

That is why I posted what those numbers are in Cavaliers, and they are not exceptional within the small breeds. What might be different is that the Cavalier founders, and after that those that the breed was built on, had a hidden genetic load that was greater.

Most of the working breeds tend to have a higher heterozygosity level (more diversity of genes in their gene pool).

But in regards to inbred - yes the purebred dog populations, as a whole, ARE inbred which is why their effective population sizes are so small, and this IS what is bringing many conditions to the surface in percentage numbers that would not occur without man's selection. Inbreeding brings the benefits of predictability in many areas, but it cannot be denied that health risks do come with that.

This is from Professor Bateson when interviewed, and Chrissy Smith asked him if he was impressed by the responsible breeders that gave evidence. (14.30 into the interview).
"Oh yes, I was. I mean I visited several breeders and I thought they were thoughtful intelligent, very caring, loved their dogs, and, you know, were really genuinely trying to avoid difficult problems.

I mean I think some of them are still pretty naïve about inbreeding, I mean, you know, they have this notion about line breeding which actually is just another word for inbreeding, and I think that some of them have got a lot to learn about the effects of inbreeding and don’t seem to at all realize that if you inbreed too much you will expose your dogs to much higher levels of illness."
http://dogworld.co.uk/Features/03-Bateson-interview?year=2010&month=01

Oreo

Last edited:
If I may make a comment on the microchipping of puppies....
It's been mandatory to microchip puppies in Ireland if you want to register them with the IKC for about the last four years.
It costs about €35 per pup at the vets and the net result in my opinion has been a lot of poorly bred pups hitting the marketplace,and a rise in the "purebrednonregistered" ads on the internet.
This must have meant a loss in revenue for the IKC and in order to prevent this in the UK,the only solution is to make it both compulsory and affordable to chip all pups.
Having said that a lot of people don't seem to care if a pup is registered or not..........:mad:
On the plus side,many pups have been microchipped at eight - ten weeks of age with no problem so it's nothing to worry about.
I'd been used to getting adult fosters chipped for Karlin,most were done under anaesthetic and those which weren't didn't bother the dog very much.
Daisy has arrived at 11 weeks already chipped so I was a bit worried when Holly was chipped at 14 weeks,but she didn't even notice it was being done.So again nothing to worry about..
Sins

Hi
Can I clarify something on post 24 its tanias post which photo is the one after treatment to me the descriptions look the wrong way around.:confused:

Hi
Can I clarify something on post 24 its tanias post which photo is the one after treatment to me the descriptions look the wrong way around.:confused:

Your are right Brian, the photo they have as their before, which is actually after treatment, you can see from her face how sweet and smiley she is and her eyes are sparkling! Their after, which is before (confused yet! :confused:) she has what I call has a hang dog look, her eyes are dull, her face is long and drawn!

Molly and Dougall are the same age, Molly never got any attention when we went out and people used to think she was an old dog and fat!
I got quite offended and wanted to hand the person a mirror ask them to take a good look at themselves :huh:

Not long after treatment she won "Prettiest Female" in a local show. You have know idea how much that meant to me !

I have made a page in my albums "Amazing Face" all her different expressions! People can't believe she is the same girlie! :)

Back