• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Calories in pet treats: chart... you will be surprised!

297 calories in a jumbone!! Thats nearly their daily allowance :eek:

I used to buy those but stopped seen as they would only eat bits of them. You could see how quickly a dog would put on weight eating things like that.

Thanks for that Karlin...a real eye-opener :eek:

I am trying to keep Chaos's weight under control as now she is on steroids she is always starving. She always used to be a skinny little thing with lots of stomach upsets when she wouldnt or coudnt eat but now always eats all her dinner and anything else she can get. Before she started her SM treatment she weighed about 8kg and now is 9.2kg. Since reading about the vegetables lots of you feed have now started to give her a frozen green bean or baby carrot as a treat and she loves them. Bought large bags from Iceland for £1 each. The only treats I have always given them are small gravy bones and Chaos always has to have two so that the others can finish their one before her otherwise she attacks Impie and Armani to steal theirs. Am now trying to cut the number of these right down. Chaos is so clever she has a new trick of asking to go out and then refusing to come back in whilst you stand there freezing with the door open for her and the only way to get her to come back in is to give her something. Have tried just leaving her out but she will sit there for hours and still not come in. Now I am giving her 1 small green bean or carrot and she is quite happy with that. In the summer of course I can just leave the door open.
Chaos's friend Leyla is coming to stay with us from tomorrow when her owner is going abroad to work. Poor Leyla, who is only 3 1/2 has been allowed to get very overweight, I weighed her yesterday and she was 11.5kg and she is only a small cavalier so I will be doing my best to slim her down and have persuaded her owner, my friend, to let me put her on James Wellbeloved light and will give her veggies as well. Hope this will do the trick and has to be better than the cakes and chocolote she has been fed on (my friend used to be a vet nurse and should know better, killing by kindness comes to mind).:eek:

I am really strict about giving my lot treats. When I gave Pedigree Dentastix I noticed pretty quickly that everyone was gaining weight, so I stopped them.

I went back to the original 4 Gravy Bones a day for each dog, given at various times in return for good behaviour.

I have a golden rule here, human food is for me and dog food and dog biscuits for dogs, although I do give the dogs small samples of the veggies on my plate as treats.

I do give a lot of "treats" for training but 99% of the time it's just their kibble. My dogs are very food motivated so I don't have to give anything fancy to get them to eat it.:)

Gravy bones are another, and those treats with glucocmine in joint care or something they are called are highly calorific, we used to give harley a few gravey bones when we went out, and odd ones during the day etc, on reading the box 5 = his daily feeding allowance in total. He now get half a bone a day. lol

I do that too Sabby but I just had an *ah ha* moment at obedience class with Rylie the other day. He was just far too exuberant (in other words he kept trying to jump on me whenever he was released). I had brought my homemade tuna brownies. They were just WAY more exciting than what he usually gets so he could hardly contain himself. :D. We are taking kibble next week to see if that calms things down a tad.

Goodness that is quite scary!!

I know quite a few people who feed these type of treats...:mad:

We use veg, fruit and rice cakes!! You cen get low salt ones, they are very low in calories and the dogs love them - can't understand it personally, I think they are one of the most tasteless, revolting things ever invented :D

I also make my own treats - dried liver, liver cake etc

Back