Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronic Diarrhea

Post Thanks / Like

His poo has been yellow and loose, but whenever he is on antibiotics, it returns to normal consistency. Now that the campy is gone too, it has returned to a normal brown color. I would assume as it has resolved, that it's not pancreatic insufficiency?

We have the same yellow Tylan powder. Lucky for me, we just got those little kitchen spoons that say "hint, pinch, dash, smidge" and the "pinch" spoon is 1/12 tsp which I am required to mix with his food. Can't imagine measuring it out otherwise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, as long as it's back to normal and he feels good, looks good and is a good weight - that's all that matters!

I had a 1/8 teaspoon measure, so I used a knife to divide it in two on a saucer! Do you have the big bottle with all the instructions for calves, goats, pigs, etc.?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry for butting in at such a late time, but our Belle had chronic diarrhea on and off for about 4 months until we got so fed up we asked the vet to take a stool sample. He did and did a few tests, it turned out she had something called Giardia, which comes from bird poo and standing water. He put her on amoxicillin and a 5 week course of worming liquid (YES, five weeks to kill those little things!). It cleared up after a few weeks and she's been great eversince. Also, we had to bleach the floors (we have tiles, wood) and disinfect her bedding/bowls to make sure there was no contamination from the parasite, it's a pretty strong critter. How's your little one now, is it completely gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your little dog is improving, poor pet.

I have a Cav who is prone to colitis, we had a 2 month long bout last year - every morning we would come down to a destroyed kitchen. Was tested for parasites or other bugs and blood were taken to make sure it was not liver/kidney/hormone issue, all of which came back negative. She was on and off of antibiotics, which made minimal difference. We switched her food to Royal Canin Sensitivity Control, dry, and it worked wonders. She is very sensitive to wheat and other grain, which we found our the hard way, but has no other intolerance. I always recommend the RC food for dogs with diarrhoea, I was shocked how well it worked and how fast. It's pricey but well worth it and they can be kept on it for life (unlike some other prescription foods), she is still on it and going strong. Every so often she may pick up something and have diarrhoea for a few days but nothing like what we went through initially.

Good luck and please keep us updated