• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scared of own reflection?

pikkupupu

Hi,

We have a funny problem out here..Not long ago we brought home a glass cabinet with glass windows until the floor. And Minni started being hostile towards it :eek:

Cabinet stands basically in the middle of the room so she won't run around the flat like crazy like she used to, but instead she just lies down under the sofa or the coffee table, watches her reflection and growls, barks or whines. Anytime she needs to go past it, she just is getting scared of reflection, backs and hides underneath the sofa.

How to help her? Or will she overcome it by herself with time? I am afraid that because of this cabinet our bell-training will go back to basics because she has to go past it when she needs to go to the door.

She will overcome it. She is reacting to the stranger in her midst! Mine all go through the exact same stage as puppies.
Just sit with her and tell her it is a nice doggie - or whatever - boost her confidence as she sees the 'stranger' as a threat.
Anything 'new' on the horizon must be investigated. Yesterday I had to move a garden ornament out of a flooded area and sat it to dry elsewhere - they went mad ! A stranger in their midst!
Elspeth

Rylie used to do this when he saw his reflection in the TV or fireplace. He has mostly grown out of it.

I have a little pug who constantly thinks she sees, or hears, something and goes beserk.....anything out of the ordinary will set her off.:eek:

I think she will overcome it. I agree that it is something strange in her midst. Chase used to catch his reflection in the dishwasher.

Using a Mirror ?

I didnt mean to do this but with my last litters, I moved the pups to a bedroom after two weeks or so and there happened to be a dressing 'mirror' adjacent ?

I then watched them for weeks and did notice that their reactions differed.

One would see herslf and do nothing while another would walk to the side and try to look around the back. (obviously 4/5 weeks old)

Another would bark madly and back off.

However, by the time they were 7/8 weeks old, they tended to ignore the sight of themselves and were contented.

Perhaps, In the future, I shall always place a mirror for puppies to admire.

Unless someone was to inform me that this mirror could be a negative thing?

Regards Mark.

Very interesting little experiment Mark. Did the puppies personalities coinside with with their reactions? I had just heard a radio documentary on dolphins and they said that they were the only mammals able to recognize themselves in a mirror and be self aware. That surprised me and I wonder if more than just dolphins can be self aware. I also wonder how they determined that the dolphin recognized himself.

I have a bank of 5 sky lights where the dogs sleep. At night the indoor light makes these windows act like a mirror. It is so funny when the dogs first realize they can see themselves in the ceiling.

I love that idea Sandy! Bet you have fun watching?
Dog-watching(the pack) is a favourite hobby of mine!
Elspeth

Puppies and Mirrors.

QUOTE] "Very interesting little experiment Mark. Did the puppies personalities coinside with with their reactions? I had just heard a radio documentary on dolphins and they said that they were the only mammals able to recognize themselves in a mirror and be self aware. That surprised me and I wonder if more than just dolphins can be self aware. I also wonder how they determined that the dolphin recognized himself."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have retained 2 from 8 in total and they are now 13 weeks next Tuesday.

The bitch that wanted to find a way around the back, is still the more adventurous and will run off anywhere to seek out something new.

Her sister who looked and took no notice is still the opposite and on jumping out of her cage will sit quietly on my lap and relax.

When playing together, the nosey one is, just the more dominant but her sister has her moments and normally plays with as much gusto.

Don't know what else to say really. Is this not the norm ?

Mark Marshall

I don't believe that Daisy is self aware at all.We have a lot of glass in our house,long windows where she lies on the ledge.She'll bark at her reflection in the windows or in my bedroom mirror when she's standing on the bed.When we got a new shiny black piano she kept throwing shapes at it:D.
Holly at 16 weeks isn't interested as such,she prefers to keep nose to the ground when exploring.
We had an 8 year old rescue ex breeding bitch who was genuinely terrified of windows and glass,but she'd never been indoors.However,even she adpated over time and became a wonderful housedog,in her case though she was just generally overwhelmed with life outside of a shed.
If your pup is nervous going past the cabinet,perhaps some food to tempt her past?She might forget about the reflection and follow the food?
Sins

Thanks for the answers. Yeah, I tried to put food like a trail but she just ate those that are further and then backed up and growled at the reflection. It has been already a week and still no improvements but maybe with my pup it takes longer...

Hi! Just wanted to inform you - Minni finally got rid of that fear and now she thinks there is another puppy living. She tries to invite it to play and it looks funny when she jumps in front of the glass window :) But it is even cuter when she goes to sleep right next to it :)

Back