• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A little out of sorts...

My puppy just had her rabies shot on Friday (she is 5 months). Since the shot she has seemed out of sorts. She is still full of energy, but hasn't consistently been eating her food. She has had 2 accidents in the house (she has only had one accident prior to this when she first came home). I don't know if this might have something with her feeling a little bad from the shot. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, that could def. be it and is not an unusual response, though you;d not expect that to continue much longer than now. If she seems at all ill, you should contact your vet. But also, she may have a medical problem unrelated that you would not want to leave untreated. urinary tract infections for example will cause accidents and can be quite painful for the dog. Also: it would be unusual that you dog had had no accidents! And often they will backslide on housetraining which needs to remain structured -- so this might be what you are seeing; also at this age they tend to start to want only two meals instead of three, so that might be what you are seeing as she isn;t really out of sorts? Be very careful as many people THINK their dog is housetrained -- especially females! but when they are small they can go in an instant in small amounts and many find that as they get older and pees are larger and are suddenly noticed, that actually their puppy likely has had many inside accidents that they just missed (especially if the pup is not watched at ALL times and never allowed to roam about the house out of sight). Very common for people to think their puppy is housetrained long before it is! :lol: On average most will not see a mostly reliable dog til age 6-7 months and can expect occasional accidents til about a year.

Guinness was in such pain after his rabies shot that he peed in his bed (not usual) and then just continued to lay in it. I've never known an animal to be in that much pain from a rabies vaccine, so we called the vet who said just to keep an eye on him. He was sore around the injection spot for about 3 days, but after the first night he was down to "normal" pain levels.

Other vaccines didn't bother him much.

I was thinking maybe I had been too lax with her and that is the cause of the accidents (the first one was a sneak poop). Last night though she peed right in front of me (an hour after we had been out). It was just very strange. I don't think she has had pee accidents before, but I guess it is possible. I do try to keep her in my sights at all times.

I will go back to my treat w/ potty routine and try to get her back on track.

What are the other symptoms of urinary tract infection?

I would check for a urinary tract infection as that is how I discovered one of mine had one. I'd just have her out and she would come in and seem to make a point of peeing right in front of me a short while later. It was like she was trying to let me know there was something wrong. Finally, she got up on the bed right in front of me and peed on the bed... I got the message. Off to the vet with a urin sample and sure enough she had an infection. If your dog is going frequently, in small amounts and seems to go through quite a procedure to pee (the pee dance) then this is also a sign.

Also would go to vet about possible urinary infection. I remember when Abigail had her rabies shot she was out of sorts for a day or so. At same time she had anal glands cleared and she screamed whenever we picked her up for 2 days.

Hope your pup feels better very soon!

Heather R

Back