• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

please help-my dog won't stop humping

sweethearts

I hate to put like that but it's the truth. You may know we were supposed to get spayed in 2 weeks but she has gone into heat so that can't be done for a while. Well today she is out of control! I didn't think females really would hump like a male does. She is clawing at things strongly, and it seems her urge is so strong.ALL the day. I tell no, down, etc.. she's extra antsy if I put her in the crate. At the time she is bleeding. Not too bad. The whole thing is wierding me out becuase frankly she mostly humping my arm. I'd hate to have to keep her completely penned for the next few days. She scratched my upper arm up pretty good. Just when you think she's "down", she's at it again. ANY advie would be so helpful. I know it's a hormonal thing, but I haven't a clue. I wanted to get the spaying done before this happened lol. She is 6 months. Now i see whay they call it IN HEAT lol. Thanks!

Hi :) if you type "humping" into the search section at the top of the page, you'll probably find lots of posts on that particular pastime :p

For the bleeding, you can get special panties that keep this from marking. As for the humping --it will probably calm down, but if it is hard to manage why not invest in an xpen (puppy playpen?) These are one of the best investments you can make for puppies or adults -- I use mine in so many ways, all the time, often using two panels as an impromptu baby gate to block stairs or the kitchen for example, and you can easily attach them to wire crate to make a large play area. Yu can put her in there with some toys or a kong.

Try giving her her food in a kong rather than in a bowl, so she stays busy with something like that as well. You can pack it in with some mashed banana and freeze to make it last longer.

Hormones are very very powerful though and it is not really possible to make her stop if she is this driven -- but those actions should subside as she passes through the 3-4 weeks of heat. I have never had a bitch react quite that strongly though -- some are pretty laid back and you barely know they are in heat except for the interest of the (neutered!) boys!

I think the destraction thing is a good idea. Give her something she really loves to chew, have a good play, take her for a long walk. Tire her out a bit.

Except you can't really take a bitch in full heat for a long walk, don't forget! :) Unless it is very far away from any other dogs and she is securely on lead, as her interest is obviously on one thing and if she knows there's a boy out there... ;) ).

It can be a major headache when they are in heat -- some will howl up the walls and are desperate to get out; others are very laid back.

Wow! I never knew that females would do that to that extent! Sounds like a royal PITA for you on all kinds of levels. Plus I can't believe she went into heat at 6 months (I'm being facetious, of course, I do believe it, but it just surprises me.) That seems pretty early. We had Daisy spayed at 8 months and thank goodness she didn't go into heat before that or I would have been unpleasantly surprised.

Good luck to you (and her). Hopefully the worst will be over soon and you'll have your demure little girl back!

Thanks for all the advice Karlin. Being a homemaker I am home with her all the time and am always keeping her entertained. I was very suprised in the strength in her front arms as she gripped me. My goodness! Today (so far) she is a quiet mood but the day is young lol. I have yet to buy a Kong toy but have wanted too. I guess now it definetly the time. The bananna treat sounds like a great idea. Even though she's going through this she is the greatest thing about my life! She is at my side almost always. I love that! I have never heard of the rescue remedy.

Rescue Remedy is a homeopathy remedy that calms and sooths stress. It can be used for both animals and people. You could give both of you a shot (just drops in the mouth or water). It is safe and affective. I'd never be without it. It is good if your dog has stress when travelling, fireworks, stressful changes in the home...anything that might be upsetting for your dog. It restores balance.

I also use the Bach Flower Remedies which are very helpful in working with you and your dogs emotional well being. These are wonderful non-invasive, safe, affordable and affective treatments.

Hi

You can borrow the stuffed gorilla in Lukes bedroom the one our Pops tries to get a grip of when she batters down his bedroom door .:)

Chaos has a fairly large black and tan stuffed dog which even though she is spayed and has SM she still likes to hump now and again. When she was younger she used to get so excited she would topple over sideways on it, very funny to watch. Maybe something like this would save your arms from being scratched to bits.:p

Back