• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

advice about change in coat

nicola

Hi all. Its been a while since I've posted. I have a one year old Blenheim and ruby (Charlie and Henry, litter mates). I had them neutered several months ago and have noticed a really big change in their coats and not in a positive way. They used to have really shiny coats with great depth of colour. Their coats (especially ,Charlie, the ruby) have gone really dry and Charlies has gone almost a blonde colour in patches. It is really really upsetting as their coats were really stunning before. I know all the benefits of neutering but as they are both males I wonder did I do the right thing. Anyway, what I wanted to ask is for advice on anything I can do to help their coats improve again. They are fed on good quality foods ie.royal canin, orijen, and at the moment james well beloved. They aren't bathed often but when they are I use groomers banana and mango shampoo and tropical conditioner which I believe is good quality. Does anyone have any advice at all? Many thanks x

But why would it not have been the right thing to do *for the dogs* -- surely health and welfare reasons for neutering outweigh cosmetic coat details? (y) Also: most reputable breeders require pet dogs of their breeding be neutered, so often this is not a choice for pet owners.

But sometimes this happens; two of my five have some coat affects but they are minor. Also: ears for example on blenheims and rubies often fade out to blonde -- check some show pictures and you will see it on many dogs so it isn't necessarily anything to do with neutering, just with maturing. A good quality conditioner and something to finish the coat -- eg a spray with one of the silicone ingredients -- restores shine. Intact dogs can get dry and rough coats as well. Just a dry food diet also isn't IMHO the best choice as no matter the quality, it is still a processed food day in and day out with most vitamins needing to be added back in -- I'd get some real food in there. This is like eating a bowl of fortified cornflakes every day - dry makes a good basis but I'd supplement with real food -- meat and veg and fruit -- and also use salmon oil for example, which is great for coats :). There are lots of suggestions for adding to diets in the Library section. (y)

But why would it not have been the right thing to do *for the dogs* -- surely health and welfare reasons for neutering outweigh cosmetic coat details? (y) Also: most reputable breeders require pet dogs of their breeding be neutered, so often this is not a choice for pet owners.

Karlin, you are absolutely right!! I wouldn't have not considered neutering them although my breeder actually advised me not to unless there was a good reason to:confused: I knew that their coats were prob going to change but as you quite rightly pointed out this is just a cosmetic thing. I prob didn't word my post very well. I guess I'm just sad that their coats appeared to have changed so dramatically although like you said this may not be related to the neutering. If I could go back, of course I would still have them neutered. I am interested in reading about feeding them fruit and veg. My husband and I have always been very strict about not feeding them human food and all they really get is their kibble and coachie treats for training. I will try the salmon oil. We actually have given this to our chocolate lab rescue before and it made a big difference to her coat. When we got her, she had been fed on Wag and her coat was full of dandruff and bald patches. We changed her food and started her on salmon oil and shes beautiful now. I don't know if I've ever posted this but we have an Old English Sheepdog, a chocolate lab, a blenheim and ruby and a moggie cat Isabella (she's indoor only) and Peter the rabbit. I think most people think we are complete nutters but we wouldn't have it any other way. They are all lovely animals and we have an acre and a half for them to charge around on. We are also within walking distance to the beach although I am sure you can imagine walking the four of them is quite hilarious...we tend to do it in shifts now due to the immense size difference lol!! Anyway, way off topic now. I'm off to read the library. Any other advice would also be welcome re shampoos, conditioners, supplements etc...

I get a comb-- a dog comb with a handle that is easy to grip.
http://www.petproductadvisor.com/bu...ow-to-select-the-best-dog-comb/169/page1.aspx

I hope the link works. It doesn't have to be expensive, just comfortable and not too long or short sized teeth. Then I take a fine rubber band and weave it through the teeth. What you are doing is adding some resistance to get the dead hair -- that gets dry, cottony out. If the dog had its hormones, it would likely be loosing these hairs- but without enough hormone -- they seem to stay. If it is too much pull-- get a finer (thinner)rubberband. Only a single layer of the rubber band goes through the teeth-- sort of like weave poles (over, behind, over, behind). You can buy a thinning tool - but that doesn't REMOVE the dead-- it just thins and cuts it shorter.

There is a thread in Cavalier health and diet about feeding raw meat which is probably well worth looking at, instead of feeding very highly processed food all the time.

I had a neutered male and his coat never shed fur! which was fabulous on the one hand as I didn't need to go round the house on my hands and knees all the time collecting fur with a damp sponge, then vacuuming, then starting all over again.:eek:

But it did mean that I had to trim his coat. I also used a 'Coat King' to thin out his coat, one with fairly fine teeth.

I spray "Groomers" Detangle Spray into a brush and then brush it through their coats. Dougall is a bit of a girl and doesn't like the comb which fortunately I do not seem to need.

Back