• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tell me im doing the right thing!?

Karen and Ruby

Rubys Booster was due last week. She had a booster at a year and two and I havent taken her this year.

Im just not sure im making the right desision??

I think decisions about vaccination depend a bit on local circumstances. Oliver has his main boosters every 3 years, but he has the lepto/parvo element every year because Coventry has regular outbreaks of parvo. One outbreak was actually in the street where we used to live, and 3 (unvaccinated) dogs died, so I was very glad that my then Cavalier was vaccinated against it regularly.

Some people put their faith in titre testing, but there have been some reputable scientific papers recently questioning its accuracy/reliability - the whole vaccination question seems to be a bit like human healthy eating advice! Most vets do seem to have recognised that we have been over-vaccinating, and Oliver at nearly 9 probably doesn't need it, but having encountered parvo and, in the past distemper, I tend to be over-cautious.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Every three years for core vaccines is perfectly safe and is now the recommended approach by all the US vet organisations AND vet schools. I have the links to this in the Library section under vaccinations.

I do every three years biut nothing after age 7. EG I do puppy series, 1 year boster, again at 4, again at 7, then done. I do lepto every year, kennel cough as needed (generally once a year)

Thanks for the good info on vaccines. I was planing on doing a titer this year as they had the full spectrum (except for rabies I do every 3 yrs) last year. I think the every 3 years for everything sounds good and nothing after 7. I too do lepto and kennel cough annualy and was wondering if I should possibly titer for these? Any thoughts on this?

I think even the sceptics agree that Lepto vax only lasts for 1 year Marjorie, as does Kennel Cough nowadays, although it used to last much less - INTRAC nasal drops, for KC, I mean.
Elspeth

One thing you have to be aware of is that lepto given the first time needs to be boostered, so you have to go back for the second shot. After that it is just annual.

So do I go in and JUST ask for Lepto only???

Depends on your vet. Mine only does a dual Lepto/Parvo vax. The option to that is to 'buy a box' she tells me! So I put up with the dual vax! No harm there.
Although, I do know someone in another practice who managed to get her vet to buy in a single dose of Lepto, so I think it can be done.
Since most vets buy in bulk they buy what they use most of: triple Vax, D, L PV (you can read it from the little sticker on the dog's card), normally given 2 or 3 yearly or LPV, for the yearly shot. I think that is pretty standard in the UK?
Elspeth

Apologies for my error with the letters: the dual vax for Parvo/Lepto is identified by the letters CPVL, and, if combined with the the Distemper one, the letter D is added. Sometimes Distemper gets a separate sticker - depends on which brand of Vax is used.
CPVL stands for Canine Parvovirus (CPV) and Leptospirosis(L). Never a bad idea to familiarise yourself with the letters used - that way you know exactly what your dog has been given.

Sorry again.
Elspeth

Back