Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kong recipies (fillings)

Post Thanks / Like

Question Kong recipies (fillings)

Hello all,

Looking for tasty fillings for a kong, Lou has turned her nose up at the 'Kong' branded paste.

So come on everyone, let's have your cav's favourite kong fillings I am eager to get started

Please forgive the spelling in the title (recipe)
    Mum to Tallulah (blenheim)
    Three Precious Cavalier Angels in Heaven, until we meet again girls...xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Mine love their Kongs, I just break up some of their cheese or apple cinnamon doggie cookies, some lung or liver with a VERY small amount of peanutbutter or cheese spread at the opening. I don't like to put anything too perishable inside that can get stuck as they can be hard to clean properly.
    Marjorie

"when a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
    Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Natural bio yoghurt mixed with banana and honey - put in kong (do remember to put some cling film over the other end ) put in freezer until frozen - Yummy
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I will most often put some kibble in the kong and stuff the top with plain yogurt, canned food, or baby sweet potato, depending on what I have on hand and pop it in the freezer.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Leo loves low fat cheese spread (Dairylea) with bits of carrot chopped up.

If I put yoghurt in it I also freeze it....I'd like to say it lasts longer that way but it doesnt

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

I never tried putting fillings inside and freezing them. What great idea! They both LOVE ice cubes so I'm sure it would be great fun for them to lick away at something yummy.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just ask how do you all clean your kongs, especially with stuff like peanut butter and spreadable cheese it must get messy?
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just clean mine in the sink but occasionally I pop them in the dishwasher.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Potato plus anything else mixed in makes a great paste to put into Kongs - frozen or unfrozen. Also, soaking some kibble and mushing it in there is a good option. I have had so many Kongs through the house over the years that it is rediculous. One of my dogs has discovered the best way to get the yummy stuff out of the Kong is to just eat the whole thing - he chews open the Kong, eats all the good stuff and, depending on how hungry he is, will either eat the rest of the Kong or leave it it pieces all over the floor. He has even managed to do it with the Xtreme Kongs!

I stick Kongs into the dishwasher, on the top shelf with the opening facing down, and then give them a good rinse when they come out. Does the trick nearly every time. Soaking them in hot, soapy water for a while also gets all the gunk out of them easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be concerned about putting them in the dishwasher as the rubber/plastic can breakdown and leach toxins into the food.
    Marjorie

"when a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
    Henry David Thoreau