• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kong recipies (fillings)

Clairelou

Hello all,

Looking for tasty fillings for a kong, Lou has turned her nose up at the 'Kong' branded paste.

So come on everyone, let's have your cav's favourite kong fillings :) I am eager to get started :)

Please forgive the spelling in the title (recipe)

Mine love their Kongs, I just break up some of their cheese or apple cinnamon doggie cookies, some lung or liver with a VERY small amount of peanutbutter or cheese spread at the opening. I don't like to put anything too perishable inside that can get stuck as they can be hard to clean properly.

Natural bio yoghurt mixed with banana and honey - put in kong (do remember to put some cling film over the other end:) ) put in freezer until frozen - Yummy:D

I will most often put some kibble in the kong and stuff the top with plain yogurt, canned food, or baby sweet potato, depending on what I have on hand and pop it in the freezer.

Leo loves low fat cheese spread (Dairylea) with bits of carrot chopped up.

If I put yoghurt in it I also freeze it....I'd like to say it lasts longer that way but it doesnticon_whistling

Mel

I never tried putting fillings inside and freezing them. What great idea! They both LOVE ice cubes so I'm sure it would be great fun for them to lick away at something yummy. :jmp:

Can I just ask how do you all clean your kongs, especially with stuff like peanut butter and spreadable cheese it must get messy?

Potato plus anything else mixed in makes a great paste to put into Kongs - frozen or unfrozen. Also, soaking some kibble and mushing it in there is a good option. I have had so many Kongs through the house over the years that it is rediculous. One of my dogs has discovered the best way to get the yummy stuff out of the Kong is to just eat the whole thing - he chews open the Kong, eats all the good stuff and, depending on how hungry he is, will either eat the rest of the Kong or leave it it pieces all over the floor. He has even managed to do it with the Xtreme Kongs! :rolleyes:

I stick Kongs into the dishwasher, on the top shelf with the opening facing down, and then give them a good rinse when they come out. Does the trick nearly every time. Soaking them in hot, soapy water for a while also gets all the gunk out of them easily.

I would be concerned about putting them in the dishwasher as the rubber/plastic can breakdown and leach toxins into the food.

Hi
As regards cleaning,

I bought a bottle brush used for cleaning baby bottles.
That works really well then I do put it in the dishwasher, I havent had a problem with it perishing

Mel

Potato plus anything else mixed in makes a great paste to put into Kongs - frozen or unfrozen. Also, soaking some kibble and mushing it in there is a good option. I have had so many Kongs through the house over the years that it is rediculous. One of my dogs has discovered the best way to get the yummy stuff out of the Kong is to just eat the whole thing - he chews open the Kong, eats all the good stuff and, depending on how hungry he is, will either eat the rest of the Kong or leave it it pieces all over the floor. He has even managed to do it with the Xtreme Kongs! :rolleyes:

I shouldn't laugh but can't stop - just imagining it now :D I suppose that's one way to increase your fibre intake ;)

mine love;
cheese spread (light)
peanut butter
chicken bovril
marmite
white pudding (their fave!)
sardines

Back