• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heavy Season

Quinny74

I'm worried about my 9 month old bitch Dotty. She is currently having her first season and it's not going too well. She is producing a LOT of blood and when she gets excited and wags her tail she splashes it everywhere. Also the smell is disgusting and our whole house smells of it.
She is trying her best to keep herself clean but I think she is stuggling. He brood sister had her first season in November and did not produce anywhere near as much blood and there was no smell.
Should I be worried? I'm going to make a vet's appointment but am I just over-reacting

If you've ever any doubt,make a vet's appointment.It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.It's hard to say for sure what to expect,but it seems a bit excessive.
Sins

Smelly, heavy, often frequent {more often than every 5 months}seasons *can* be indicative of Chronic Pyometra - the infection builds up when the cervix is open each season.

My Fillipa had this condition - I had mentioned to my vets and people at dog training club that she was having these frequent, heavy, smelly seasons and no-one seemed to think anything was wrong. Eventually she was spayed and there was an area of infection within the uterus - the vet decided that this was what had been happening.

However bitches do vary in their degree of cleanliness and "smelliness!! Often first season they are NOT good at cleaning themselves.

I think if it was me I would want to get her checked out - go to the vets and leave her in the car until you are called in, so that she doesn't upset anyone else waiting.

You could try a pair of children's pants with a hole cut for the tail - depending on her size, age 2-3 ish. But really it is better for the air to get to her, so don't leave them on all the time.

It is very unusual for a bitch to take a pyometra on their first season, and it would normally be 8 weeks after the season, when the pups would be due - but it's not unheard of.

Hope this helps and please keep us posted.

Many thanks for the replies. We did think she had had her first season in November. It would be about 8 weeks since then and she is a bit listless and off her food. She's booked in for 5.45pm so fingers crossed :xfngr:

If this has happened so close to a previous season I'd be very concerned it is pyometra and hence very urgent. Good that you are going in today.

Pyometra

Article Written by Dr. Daniel A. Degner, Board-certified Veterinary Surgeon (DACVS)

Key Points

The word pyometra can be divided into two root words

Pyo means pus

Metra refers to the uterus

Pyometra starts after a dog goes through a heat cycle, usually within about 3 to 5 weeks

Spaying is the treatment of choice

Prognosis is usually favorable, providing that the patient is not profoundly ill

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyometra.html

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/pyometra.htm

Back