Thread: anal glands, again, again...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default anal glands, again, again...

yesterday i had to take frida to the vet again. one og her anal glands was very big and tender, no abcsess, though.

usually i empty the anal glands if i find them very full, but with this one i could do nothing. it was so swollen and frida protested at having me thouch it so i thought an abscess might be forming.

the vet said that the secretion was very hard, very dry, and so vey difficult to squeeze out. she is sure that this gland can't be emtied in the usual manner.

does anybody have advice for me, if there is anything i can do/feed frida, to make this secretion more fluid?

i have not encountered this problem before, have no idea if anything can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's fairly common for Cavaliers to have one side that fills up more quickly than the other. If I were you, I would just empty that side more frequently, maybe once a fortnight or weekly if you think it is required.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your answer, elspeth. i appreciate

but the problem is that the fluid is not sufficiently fluid, so it is very, very difficult to get out.
    i was thinking if there is something i could give frida to make it more fluid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have some who produce more solid stuff than others, so I do them more often, and have found that what I get out is more easily removed - even more fluidy because it has not had time to solidify.
    One of the tricks I have used in the past is to soak on old face-flannel in water as hot as your hands can stand comfortably -not scalding, obviously - wring it out (a hot compress)then press it to the anus. You may have to repeat this a few times. It opens up the aperture in the glands and the heat relaxes the whole area, making the process of emptying easier and less painful. Work the gland from underneath, a little pressure at a time in an upward direction toward the tail base. That is less painful.
    It works for impacted milk glands too - the milk justs flows! Worth a try.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to advise this ^^

A hot cloth put up against the dogs bum and left to cool, maybe repeat few times to make sure, is a great way to get things moving back there. Also, if they have a sore gland it helps relieve the pressure a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great minds.......................well, maybe not, in my case! LOL!
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Work the gland from underneath, a little pressure at a time in an upward direction toward the tail base. That is less painful.
    It works for impacted milk glands too - the milk justs flows! Worth a try.
    Elspeth
    Over the years we have spent hundreds on having anal glands emptied, Lou is needing them expressed roughly every 2/3 months, last done 2 weeks ago at a cost of 23. So..... my Dad asked the vet to show him how, but he needs more confidence - frightened of hurting Lou.

Elspeth forgive me if I am asking the obvious are you describing the method whereby you express them with both fingers outside your cav - or one finger inside one outside? Many thanks and love the tips about using a hot flannel
    Mum to Tallulah (blenheim)
    Three Precious Cavalier Angels in Heaven, until we meet again girls...xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Clairelou,
    Keep the fingers on the outside - inside is for the experts -finger and thumb each side of the anus and work from below. Don't do it by holding the sides of the anus, as that can be painful. Just apply pressure, gently but firmly,from underneath, so that you are actually squeezing upward toward the tail base. Work with short gentle squeezes , don't rush it. It may take a few of those to get things started. Once you get started, keep going.
    I take mine on my lap, and talk to them, as they relax better - but choose your area and clothing carefully - bathroom is best, for obvious reasons.
    Nicola, I use bran too, but have not found it that helpful, though it may work well for some dogs - they are all different, just like us.
    If I can help some more, just ask.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

It does no harm to empty them that often if needed ,as my Rosie sometimes even scoots upon return from the vets .And I wont ever contemplate removal.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T