Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anal glands, again, again...

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Work the gland from underneath, a little pressure at a time in an upward direction toward the tail base. That is less painful.
    It works for impacted milk glands too - the milk justs flows! Worth a try.
    Elspeth
    Over the years we have spent hundreds on having anal glands emptied, Lou is needing them expressed roughly every 2/3 months, last done 2 weeks ago at a cost of 23. So..... my Dad asked the vet to show him how, but he needs more confidence - frightened of hurting Lou.

Elspeth forgive me if I am asking the obvious are you describing the method whereby you express them with both fingers outside your cav - or one finger inside one outside? Many thanks and love the tips about using a hot flannel
    Mum to Tallulah (blenheim)
    Three Precious Cavalier Angels in Heaven, until we meet again girls...xxx

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the helpful advice!
    i dont' know what could be wrong with frida's diet/environment, she is 4, and only started having this problem 4 months ago...
    maybe there is someting, only i can't think what it might be. but will certainly keep 'digging'.

i'll try emptying the glands often, preparing her bum in the above described manner...., and see how we go.

@brian
    i'd never consider having them removed. much too risky, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told by a vet that adding a teaspoon of wholemeal bran to the dogs food is the way to avoid needing them emptied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Clairelou,
    Keep the fingers on the outside - inside is for the experts -finger and thumb each side of the anus and work from below. Don't do it by holding the sides of the anus, as that can be painful. Just apply pressure, gently but firmly,from underneath, so that you are actually squeezing upward toward the tail base. Work with short gentle squeezes , don't rush it. It may take a few of those to get things started. Once you get started, keep going.
    I take mine on my lap, and talk to them, as they relax better - but choose your area and clothing carefully - bathroom is best, for obvious reasons.
    Nicola, I use bran too, but have not found it that helpful, though it may work well for some dogs - they are all different, just like us.
    If I can help some more, just ask.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Forgot to add, the position of the finger and thumb should be at 20 to 4 on a clock dial.
    Elspeth