• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

anal glands, again, again...

renate

yesterday i had to take frida to the vet again. one og her anal glands was very big and tender, no abcsess, though.

usually i empty the anal glands if i find them very full, but with this one i could do nothing. it was so swollen and frida protested at having me thouch it so i thought an abscess might be forming.

the vet said that the secretion was very hard, very dry, and so vey difficult to squeeze out. she is sure that this gland can't be emtied in the usual manner.

does anybody have advice for me, if there is anything i can do/feed frida, to make this secretion more fluid?

i have not encountered this problem before, have no idea if anything can be done.

It's fairly common for Cavaliers to have one side that fills up more quickly than the other. If I were you, I would just empty that side more frequently, maybe once a fortnight or weekly if you think it is required.
Elspeth

thank you for your answer, elspeth. i appreciate:)

but the problem is that the fluid is not sufficiently fluid, so it is very, very difficult to get out.
i was thinking if there is something i could give frida to make it more fluid.

Hi

It does no harm to empty them that often if needed ,as my Rosie sometimes even scoots upon return from the vets .And I wont ever contemplate removal.

I have some who produce more solid stuff than others, so I do them more often, and have found that what I get out is more easily removed - even more fluidy because it has not had time to solidify.
One of the tricks I have used in the past is to soak on old face-flannel in water as hot as your hands can stand comfortably -not scalding, obviously - wring it out (a hot compress)then press it to the anus. You may have to repeat this a few times. It opens up the aperture in the glands and the heat relaxes the whole area, making the process of emptying easier and less painful. Work the gland from underneath, a little pressure at a time in an upward direction toward the tail base. That is less painful.
It works for impacted milk glands too - the milk justs flows! Worth a try.
Elspeth

I was just about to advise this ^^

A hot cloth put up against the dogs bum and left to cool, maybe repeat few times to make sure, is a great way to get things moving back there. Also, if they have a sore gland it helps relieve the pressure a bit.

In my holistic vet book it says they should NEVER be emptied and that if there is a problem then there is a problem with diet or your dogs living terraine (system). Any thought on this? I have never had any of my dogs in the past done and had no problems (mixed breeds - rescue dogs). Are Cavaliers more prone to this?

Many years ago I was advised to switch to Burns Dog Food, which claims to help with anal gland problems. I've never had a Cavalier which did NOT need glands emptying, but these days I don't seem to live at the vet anywhere near so much as I used to, so I'm sticking with Burns.

Don't know how you folk manage to do the deed yourselves - I tried once, but never again (and I think the Cav in question is still heartily thankful that I leave it to the experts now!)
Thankyouwags.gif

In my holistic vet book it says they should NEVER be emptied and that if there is a problem then there is a problem with diet or your dogs living terraine (system). Any thought on this? I have never had any of my dogs in the past done and had no problems (mixed breeds - rescue dogs). Are Cavaliers more prone to this?

I would say "Yes" Marjorie, and I know my Vet would agree. 2 of my oldies(fatsos) are on Burns and I do think it makes a diffeence to how often they need to be emptied, but it also tends to make them a bit constipated, so.........?.

Elspeth

Work the gland from underneath, a little pressure at a time in an upward direction toward the tail base. That is less painful.
It works for impacted milk glands too - the milk justs flows! Worth a try.
Elspeth

Over the years we have spent hundreds on having anal glands emptied, Lou is needing them expressed roughly every 2/3 months, last done 2 weeks ago at a cost of £23. So..... my Dad asked the vet to show him how, but he needs more confidence - frightened of hurting Lou.

Elspeth forgive me if I am asking the obvious :confused: are you describing the method whereby you express them with both fingers outside your cav - or one finger inside one outside? Many thanks and love the tips about using a hot flannel

thanks for all the helpful advice!:hug:
i dont' know what could be wrong with frida's diet/environment:confused:, she is 4½, and only started having this problem 4 months ago...
maybe there is someting, only i can't think what it might be. but will certainly keep 'digging'.

i'll try emptying the glands often, preparing her bum in the above described manner....:), and see how we go.

@brian
i'd never consider having them removed. much too risky, in my opinion.

I was told by a vet that adding a teaspoon of wholemeal bran to the dogs food is the way to avoid needing them emptied.

Hi Clairelou,
Keep the fingers on the outside - inside is for the experts -finger and thumb each side of the anus and work from below. Don't do it by holding the sides of the anus, as that can be painful. Just apply pressure, gently but firmly,from underneath, so that you are actually squeezing upward toward the tail base. Work with short gentle squeezes , don't rush it. It may take a few of those to get things started. Once you get started, keep going.
I take mine on my lap, and talk to them, as they relax better - but choose your area and clothing carefully - bathroom is best, for obvious reasons.
Nicola, I use bran too, but have not found it that helpful, though it may work well for some dogs - they are all different, just like us.
If I can help some more, just ask.
Elspeth

Forgot to add, the position of the finger and thumb should be at 20 to 4 on a clock dial.
Elspeth

Back