Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Spaying - Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Emergency Spaying - Insurance

Some of you may have seen my earlier post about my 9 month old bitch Dotty and her heavy, smelly 'season'.
    I've taken her to the vets and they have kept her in overnight so they can perform an emergency spaying tomorrow morning.
    Obviously I'm worried sick as there are complications to the op while she is bleeding so much.
    My question is will this be covered by my insurance as it is was prescribed by the vet? I know they don't cover spaying if it's your choice but is it covered if prescribed.
    My insurer is unavailable till Monday 9am so I can't speak to them until then.
    Has anybody else had anything similar happen?

Many Thanks
    The Magnificent Seven
    Toby & Herbie - Black & Tan Boys
    Buffy, Dotty, Becky - Ruby Girls
    Freddy - Ruby Boy, Basil - Blenheim Boy

Post Thanks / Like

If it is deemed medically necessary then I would think it would be covered. Were you planning on getting you dog spayed or were you planning on breeding her? I'm sorry to hear she is having such a difficult time. I hope all turns out well for her and that she makes a full and speedy recovery. Thank goodness you took her in when you did.
    Marjorie

"when a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
    Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that she is ok - i'd be quite suprised if your insurance would cover the cost of a spay to be honest.
    May be wrong but im pretty sure thats one thing mine dont cover - hope it all goes well

Post Thanks / Like

No advice on insurance.
    Just to say that I hope everything goes ok with the op in the morning and Dotty be all right. Will be thinking of you and Dotty.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    No advice on insurance.
    Just to say that I hope everything goes ok with the op in the morning and Dotty be all right. Will be thinking of you and Dotty.
    I too hope that everything goes well in the morning for young Dotty. Once she is home she should be running around like a puppy very soon after. Very worrying until then though.

Whether the spay is covered by your insurance will depend on the exclusions included in the policy. Look for something which lists exclusions or says 'not included'.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As this is a spay because of pyometra, which is considered an emergency medical condition for which spay is the safest treatment, I would be quite sure it will be covered. They will likely keep her in for a while after such a spay as well as it will be more involved than a regular spay. But it depends on the policy and whether they believe it was an avoidable condition if she had been spayed. You'll definitely need to talk to them but have a look at your policy as it may be clear on this.

Good job for getting her in and being suspicious so quickly that something was wrong, as this condition is usually fatal if not caught soon enough. Your fast action has undoubtedly saved her life.

According to insurance statistics, cavaliers have one of the highest risks of pyometra of all surveyed breeds, with a lifetime risk of an alarming 41% if not spayed -- one of the reasons spaying is an important health consideration for this breed in particular. But for any female dog the risk is quite high for an unspayed female -- a 20-25% lifetime risk. Based on the study below, it would suggest pyometra spays are covered as emergency treatment for illness.

J Vet Intern Med 2001 Nov-Dec;15(6):530-8

Breed risk of pyometra in insured dogs in Sweden.

Egenvall A, Hagman R, Bonnett BN, Hedhammar A, Olson P, Lagerstedt AS.

Department of Ruminant Medicine and Veterinary Epidemiology, Faculty of
    Veterinary Medicine, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An animal insurance database containing data on over 200,000 dogs was used
    to study the occurrence of pyometra with respect to breed and age during
    1995 and 1996 in Swedish bitches <10 years of age. A total of 1,803 females
    in 1995 and 1,754 females in 1996 had claims submitted because of pyometra.
    Thirty breeds with at least 800 bitches insured each year were studied using
    univariate and multivariate methods. The crude 12-month risk of pyometra for
    females <10 years of age was 2.0% (95% confidence interval = 1.9-2.1%) in
    1995 and 1.9% (1.8-2.0%) in 1996. The occurrence of pyometra differed with
    age, breed, and geographic location. The risk of developing pyometra was
    increased (identified using multivariate models) in rough Collies,
    Rottweilers, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Golden Retrievers, Bernese
    Mountain Dogs, and English Cocker Spaniels compared with baseline (all other
    breeds, including mixed breed dogs). Breeds with a low risk of developing
    the disease were Drevers, German Shepherd Dogs, Miniature Dachshunds,
    Dachshunds (normal size), and Swedish Hounds. Survival rates indicate that
    on average 23-24% of the bitches in the databases will have experienced
    pyometra by 10 years of age. In the studied breeds, this proportion ranged
    between 10 and 54%. Pyometra is a clinically relevant problem in intact
    bitches, and differences related to breed and age should be taken into
    account in studies of this disease.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for all you messages. The wife and me are worried sick as Dotty is a bit of a worrier and has never been on her own. I can handle the thought of the op but I don't like the thought of her being in a cage on her own tonight attached to a drip. I'm giving the others extra cuddles tonight though and that's helping.
    My policy says spaying is not covered but as this was recommended by the vet to solve a potentially dangerous medical condition I'm hopeful it will be covered.
    I'll let you all know how she gets on.
    The Magnificent Seven

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
    If it is deemed medically necessary then I would think it would be covered. Were you planning on getting you dog spayed or were you planning on breeding her? I'm sorry to hear she is having such a difficult time. I hope all turns out well for her and that she makes a full and speedy recovery. Thank goodness you took her in when you did.
    She was booked in for the 12th Feb with our other bitches. They were all booked in for November but we cancelled as they all came in to season. We cancelled Dotty's when she started bleeding but the others are still being done

Many thanks for your well wishes. They are most appreciated
    The Magnificent Seven

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In a policy that kind of statement generally refers only to an elective spay; as this is an emergency I am pretty sure it will be covered. Healing thoughts for Dotty; let us know how she is in the morning. Don't worry too much about her -- she will be groggy and sleepy and probably will have a good sound sleep.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sending healing thoughts for Dotty. Hope she will soon be much better. Keep us posted pls. I'm sure this will be covered by insurance as Pyometra is a medical condition. Best wishes.