• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teeth Cleaning?

Gem

was just wondering if many of you actually clean your cavaliers teeth (as in with a toothbrush and toothpaste)
at our last trip to the vets they mentioned that we should start doing one of our girls as she doesnt like eating bones etc - but it has been easier said than done, she runs a mile when the toothpaste comes out! - any ideas on how to make this easier? :confused:

Hi Gem

Go back to a thread on the 27 May I listed all my stuff there ,if in doubt come back to me .:)

Ours get their teeth brushed, but not by me as they hate it so much that I can't actualy manage to do a good job. Maddie just clamps down on the brush for me and wont let go, Pippin actually struggles and he's too strong for me to hold. When OH does it Maddie behaves, and Pippin relaxes because he's being held firmly.:confused:

However, I have read things on other forums about teaching your dogs to accept the toothbrush, and I do think this is something you could clicker train, breaking it down into bite size (excuse the pun :eek:) stages. For example, start with just the toothbrush, click and treat for them allowing you to put it near their mouth. When that is ok, then move to placing it against the tooth, when that is ok, move the brush to a more harder t reach part of the mouth, then introduce the brushing action, then the toothpaste. If that makes sense. It would take some time to get there, but should give you a dog that doesn't mind having its teeth brushed.

The other thing I'm going to try is a microfibre finger "brush" from lintbells www.lintbells.com I've got them on order and I'll let you know how I get on. This is something I could do every day, and we'll probably continue with OH brushing their teeth 3 times a week as well (which is all he finds time for at present).

Sorry for the long post.:eek::)

thanks for the advice. I have got the finger tootbrushes and stupidly thought that my little well behaved angels would be happy to have their teeth brushed :yikes
guess it will take alot more time and patience than I originally planned but we will get there - i may loose a couple of fingers along the way :lol:

the microfibre finger "brush Looks like it would be perfect! But I can't find it in the US.

Hi
This is a slightly edited copy of my old post in March last year

Hi

Just to lighten things up as its Saturday Night and to continue the theme of a recent post which referred to "Do we clean our Cavs teeth" I have just finished my nightly routine and decided to take a quick pic of the girls dental kit.:)

3335521001_ea42fa58cc.jpg

So we start off with their own toothbrush ( I tried the electric:yikes ones but no chance so just a normal toothbrush one each is fine and change them every month ) which I pre-wet then proceed to brush away with first Dorwest doggy roast dinner flavoured toothpaste or similar then follow on with a brush with Logic Gel Oral Hygiene paste followed by one half Logic Orozyme Chew each which takes Daisy half the night to get through (why is it always Daisy it must be that name ) and she keeps Poppy, Rosie and Lily and me waiting ages before at last we get to brush their teeth again with Petzlife Oral Care Gel which is wild salmon flavoured and then its squirt time with Petzlife Oral care spray ,which Rosie hates and with this its a squirt to the back left then back right another to the front .
So thats all their nightly dental routine finished and it always goes in the order of eldest first so its Poppy then Daisy then Rosie and finally Lily ,so we now move on to their vitamin supplements so its one f Dorwest pillule of Fragaria (for the teeth )and another of Rhus Tox (for their heart ) then a Dorwest Cod Liver Oil capsule followed by a D. Evening Primrose oil capsule then another D. product which is a Garlic tablet and then a Vetzyme general conditioning tablet and after that its a PAH Glucosamine chew followed by a Holland and Barret vitamin E capsule and a seperate Vitamin C capsule then a good comb and brush up

And below is another pic of lotions and potions for upset tummnies or stings or a range of other problems that could occur and as this always happens when places are shut I have gathered together a littlefor emergencies and of corse a first aid box in the car .:)

3335524587_1498816c6f.jpg

And first thing in the mornining they each have a Easy Flex chew which is aliver flavoured small chew as a Glucosamine product ,its probaly all over the top but I firmly believe that clean teeth assists a healthy heart and aftr Rosies patella problem last year I again probably overdose with Glugsamine but any excess is just passed as waste so no harm done just rather too much than too little.
And dont forget there is Poppy ,Daisy ,Rosie and Lily so all those nightly procedures are times by FOUR.:)
Plus since the original post there are a couple of other things we are into.:)

I get a really super tiny toothbrush with a long handle from the vets and their chicken flavour toothpaste. My Taffy will not go to bed unless her teeth have been brushed, she loves it! Teena on the other hand hates having something in her mouth, so she watches Taffy and I allow her to lick her toothbrush and she is chewing on it on her own which is a good step in the right direction, because that helps clean when they chew the brissles. I sit right on the floor with them and give them lots of praise when brushing. If you can get them use to it, I think it is a good thing.

Mindy had really bad teeth and has had to have more than half removed at one time or another so I vowed to start early with the young dogs. It was a bit of a struggle with Max because although he was willing to let me brush the first few types of toothpaste I used made him vomit and the petzlife spray made him run around like his head was on fire. After one use of that I had to promise him not to use it on him again (it didn't have that affect on Mindy - she could tolerate it just fine). We finally found a toothpaste that he can tolerate (from my vet) and I use that, dental wipes and petzlife gel. Max didn't like the salmon at ALL and I had to put a bit of peanut butter on the spoon.

Rylie jumps into my arms to have his teeth brushed:D. He doesn't sit as calmly so I probably don't do as good of a job but I use the same routine. I use a nylon finger brush on both because I think I do a better job with it. Rylie LOVES the petzlife gel and would try and like my face after having it. When we had the bottle of wild salmon flavour it would make me gag. Now I use the regular - he still loves it, Max seems to like it a bit better and if Rylie manages to get his tongue near my face it's not so traumatic for me:cool:

I just use the LOGIC Oral Hygine Gel on Rubys food and it works wonders- she is 3 with near perfect teeth- Charlie has just started having it on his food also- just a Pea sized amount!!- No need for a toothbrush!

I think everyone should post pictures of their smiling Cavaliers showing their sparkling gnashers :fool:

Brian, you have supplied valuable information together with experience of products ideally suited.

I guess I shall have to brush my teeth :cry*ing: when I brush Kirra's :p

Hi Gem

I wear sun glasses when I do them ,but as I say if it all helps towards a healthy heart I dont mind a bit and its a fun time 45 mins pitting my wits against them and as Margaret will agree I have no chance out thought ,out manovoured and multiple high IQs against poor old me too old ,too slow and too dim as Margaret will agree but only sometims I hope:confused::(

Thanks Deb, I did a search and did not find them...I bow to the expert shopper....thanks again..they are on the way to me.

Hi, I got my microfibre finger oral cleaners through today, and I have of course tried them on both dogs. Thankfully they both accepted me putting my finger in their whole mouths, and Pippin even let me do some circular motion on his front top canines. I guess as they get more used to it I will be able to do more. I did get some visible dirt off their teeth, so that's good. We'll continue with OH brushing their teeth as well when he has time I think. But at least I'll be able to use the microfibre cleaners every day which will help.

I'm missing the smilies. :-(

Thanks Deb, I did a search and did not find them...I bow to the expert shopper....thanks again..they are on the way to me.

You are very welcome, and, yes, that is my claim to fame--shopping! Let us know how they work out.

Just a quick update, OH brushed the dogs teeth last night, then went over them with the microfibre brushes, and got even more off. I'm hoping that this will stop either dog needing a dental again. Maddie had one last year when she had to be anaesthetized for some x-rays, and I was considering booking Pippin in for a clean and polish this year. But, if I can get his teeth sparkly without doing this I'll be very happy.:xfngr:

Thanks for bringing the microfibre brushes to our attention Madpip, mine arrived this morning, I look forward to trying them out.

Back