• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introducing raw food

Rumor

I've been giving about an oz. of raw a day to the dogs. Slowly introducing it mixed with their grain free kibble. Leo has had diarrhea all day today. Do you think the rabbit is to rich for him? Loki & Remus aren't affected so far.

When I started feeding raw, I began with chicken. I don't know if different proteins have a different effect on the GI system, but I do know that Holly showed a definate preference for certain proteins. I am certainly no expert, but perhaps it's something else not related to the raw? My only advice would be to go back to his regular food for a few days, then perhaps try chicken first.

Could be a given protein, and could be that raw simply doesn't agree with him -- this happens with some dogs and is mentioned from time to time by raw feeders. I have never, ever found I have had to slowly introduce ANY food change to the dogs however! Changing foods shouldn't really matter to 99% of dogs -- they are omnivores by nature and after all are quite happy to scavenge the most horrific things... :) But some will have sensitivities to change or to a given type of food.

I usually don't have a problem with Leo or Remus. They are my garbage dogs & will eat anything. Loki is the one with the sensitive tummy. It took me forever to get his diet on track. That is why I've been slowly introducing the raw food. He seems to be fine with it. Maybe Leo got into something in the yard left behind by one of the wild creatures we have. I'll see how he gets on today before I worry to much.

My dogs eat raw, and they have never had any problems with rabbit. They have it quite often and I think it's their favorite meat :) I did notice that they didn't do as well when they had bison, so maybe different dogs are just sensitive to different types of meats...They've also had lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, venison, pheasant and fish (although the fish is cooked) and they've been fine; bison is the only one that hasn't agreed with their systems. I would try the rabbit again, maybe feed it separate from the kibble, and a smaller amount, and see how he does...maybe you're right, he could have eaten something in the yard that made him sick. Good luck!

Back