Thread: Dog Treats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog Treats

I got some nice recipes for dog treats but a lot of them include unsalted chicken or veg stock. I have looked everywhere but even the organic brands have salt in the stock. Does anybody have any ideas apart from making my own stock?
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't really think it matters that much actually -- and supermarkets do tend to sell low sodium brands, which might work if this is a concern? Maybe healthfood stores would have unsalted or low salt? In the US it is pretty easy to get low salt/no salt.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Sabby
    As a filler I buy the salt free rice cakes from H & B ,and for treats either the little liver/artic fish treats from Barker & Barker or the all fish super star training treats from fish4dogs.

Best Wishes

brian
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi Sabby
    As a filler I buy the salt free rice cakes from H & B ,and for treats either the little liver/artic fish treats from Barker & Barker or the all fish super star training treats from fish4dogs.

Best Wishes

brian
    Thanks Brian & Karlin

I do give those Rice cakes as a treat.
    As I am at home for the unforeseeable future I started making my own dog treats and biscuits. I don’t buy any dog treats or biscuits now. I really enjoy it and the dogs love it too and I know what goes into their food. I actually would love to turn it into a little business.
    Sabby
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Sabby

Poppy ,Daisy.Rosie and Lily tell me they want to be customers 1,2,3 and 4 pls.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I make dog rusks - originally for my own two, but I sell quite a lot of them when I have a stall at craft fairs and markets selling my homemade mustard. BUT if you want to sell as a proper business, or through retail outlets such as pet shops, you have to pay for a full analysis - which costs £500!! But you could sell plenty just by word of mouth, at training club etc - mine pay for Oliver's obedience show entries!

Kate, and Oliver and Aled who queue up at the kitchen door dead on 10 pm for their bedtime rusk!

Post Thanks / Like

So if I had 10 different variety of dog treats I would have to pay £500 for each different treat =£5000? God nothing is ever easy. If it be £500 for just one of analysis for all the treats I wouldn’t mind that much.
    Brian
    Send me you address I send you some samples.
    Sabby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    Does anybody have any ideas apart from making my own stock?
    I went shopping yesterday for a lady who has Celiac Disease came across all manner of goodies in Morrisons called the FREE FROM Range. Low sodium stock cubes being one of them.
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I went shopping yesterday for a lady who has Celiac Disease came across all manner of goodies in Morrisons called the FREE FROM Range. Low sodium stock cubes being one of them.

Thanks Holly Dolly I will have a look in Morrisons.
    Sabby

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm making soup that calls for broth I will often just use water. You could probably substitute water as long as there were other ingredients to add flavour.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09