• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Treats

Sabby

I got some nice recipes for dog treats but a lot of them include unsalted chicken or veg stock. I have looked everywhere but even the organic brands have salt in the stock. Does anybody have any ideas apart from making my own stock?

I don't really think it matters that much actually -- and supermarkets do tend to sell low sodium brands, which might work if this is a concern? Maybe healthfood stores would have unsalted or low salt? In the US it is pretty easy to get low salt/no salt.

Hi Sabby
As a filler I buy the salt free rice cakes from H & B ,and for treats either the little liver/artic fish treats from Barker & Barker or the all fish super star training treats from fish4dogs.

Best Wishes

brian

Hi Sabby
As a filler I buy the salt free rice cakes from H & B ,and for treats either the little liver/artic fish treats from Barker & Barker or the all fish super star training treats from fish4dogs.

Best Wishes

brian

Thanks Brian & Karlin

I do give those Rice cakes as a treat.
As I am at home for the unforeseeable future I started making my own dog treats and biscuits. I don’t buy any dog treats or biscuits now. I really enjoy it and the dogs love it too and I know what goes into their food. I actually would love to turn it into a little business.

I make dog rusks - originally for my own two, but I sell quite a lot of them when I have a stall at craft fairs and markets selling my homemade mustard. BUT if you want to sell as a proper business, or through retail outlets such as pet shops, you have to pay for a full analysis - which costs £500!! But you could sell plenty just by word of mouth, at training club etc - mine pay for Oliver's obedience show entries!

Kate, and Oliver and Aled who queue up at the kitchen door dead on 10 pm for their bedtime rusk!

So if I had 10 different variety of dog treats I would have to pay £500 for each different treat =£5000?:eek: God nothing is ever easy.:( If it be £500 for just one of analysis for all the treats I wouldn’t mind that much.
Brian
Send me you address I send you some samples.

Does anybody have any ideas apart from making my own stock?

I went shopping yesterday for a lady who has Celiac Disease came across all manner of goodies in Morrisons called the FREE FROM Range. Low sodium stock cubes being one of them.

I went shopping yesterday for a lady who has Celiac Disease came across all manner of goodies in Morrisons called the FREE FROM Range. Low sodium stock cubes being one of them.

Thanks Holly Dolly I will have a look in Morrisons.
(y)

When I'm making soup that calls for broth I will often just use water. You could probably substitute water as long as there were other ingredients to add flavour.

Back