• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone have a 3 month old pup... feeding info please?

Janice

OUr new pup, Lewis, is 13 weeks old now.

When we had him he had really loose stools with a drop of blood at the end. We fed him chicken and rice to try to firm it up (vet's advice) but it didnt firm up so eventually when i realised it had been a month that he had been on this I introduced slowly some Arden Grange puppy kibble and now he is on that all the time.

The problem is, when our last pup, Reuben, was on this, his stools were firm,,, easy to pick up like a sausage.

Lewis still has stools like a Mr.Whippy icecream!! He is full of life and energy, eats and drinks well and is full of mischief!!

Iim just wondering if anyone else has a pup of this age who is on arden grange and is the output the same as Lewis's?

Should I try something else??

I think you need to go back to the vet. This sounds like some sort of bacterial infection or other gastro problem. Not good for a puppy to have runs for such a long period. Also: was the puppy wormed correctly, eg two wormings a short time apart? Stool sample/foecal exam for coccidia or other problems taken since? I really doubt the issue is the food. Blood in the stool is often a sign of worms or other gastrointestinal problems.

The rice/chicken approach is really short term, and should help within a few days. If nothing has changed, IMHO he needs to see the vet. (y)

I think you need to go back to the vet. This sounds like some sort of bacterial infection or other gastro problem. Not good for a puppy to have runs for such a long period. Also: was the puppy wormed correctly, eg two wormings a short time apart? Stool sample/foecal exam for coccidia or other problems taken since? I really doubt the issue is the food. Blood in the stool is often a sign of worms or other gastrointestinal problems.

The rice/chicken approach is really short term, and should help within a few days. If nothing has changed, IMHO he needs to see the vet. (y)

Thanks Karlin,

yes he was wormed at the correct tiimes.

its firmed up a lot compared to how it was... it is now what i would call softish. it is formed, but not hard seperate pieces.

I will do as you advise thanks.

I fed my first puppy Daisy on Arden Grange(Lamb and rice) and it should produce hard small stools.
Is he getting treats in between feeds?
Definitely check back with your vet,as long as your vet can verify that the puppy is gaining weight and thriving you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Just keep feeding at the recommended amounts and hope it setles down soon.
Sins

I fed my first puppy Daisy on Arden Grange(Lamb and rice) and it should produce hard small stools.
Is he getting treats in between feeds?
Definitely check back with your vet,as long as your vet can verify that the puppy is gaining weight and thriving you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Just keep feeding at the recommended amounts and hope it setles down soon.
Sins

ooh yes he is definitely gaining weight..he is lovely and chubby! loves food. and runs about all over the place. :D

my cav boy has always been like this, have had him at vets numerous times and they have done loads of test, nothing. he apart from this, is very healthy, great weight, beautiful coat. Was worried about him and prob didnt help matters by changing his food. now i have him on rc cavalier and he is as u describe, still abit soft but now i dont worry as i said he is healthy and now i just put it down to the way he is.

Sensitive tummy

I work in a holistic based pet food/supply store and see this complaint alot with my customers. Perhaps he has a sensitivity to whatever meat source (or grain) is in the food? My pup has a very sensitive tummy and cannot handle any kibble that has chicken in it. She is now on a raw diet and is doing great! Adding a bit of yoghurt or canned pumpkin to the food may also prove helpful. Or look into getting a pro-biotic supplement. Good luck!

Thanks Erin... very coincidental you should say that!

Vets last night.. he has been put on some meds for a few days but also has had his food changed to Hills Science Diet Lamb

The vet also said it may be chicken that is the problem.

his stool this morning was a bit firmer than normal so hoping that will do the trick.. and hoping the meds sort out the irritation inside.

As money is a big issue with us, she is starting on that first.. stools samples later if this doesnt work.

Chaos is unable to tolerate kibble with chicken and is also on Hills Lamb and Rice and is doing very well on it. You don't have to buy it through the vet, my pet shop orders it for me in 3kg bags. It is much more expensive that other brands of kibble, about £15.75, but well worth it.

She has put him on the tinned food first to give his tummy a bit of a rest... but once he gets better i think i will try lamb kibble. At some point i will try a normal good brand of lamb.. just to see if it works as well as the Science Diet.

Hi Janice,

My local pet shop stocks a food which is totally organic. The only food base is rabbit. It's a food made by a small company owned by an ex vet nurse. The pet shops owner said its a very good food and recommended it.
we put Leo on it to try and help him lose weight. He's been on it since just before christmas and has lost 1 Ib:D I wish he'd lost more but then he's lost more than I have:sl*p:

Hope Lewis is doing well

Mel

An update.

Lewis responded very well to antibiotics and now after having him on a lamb and rice kibble... i have re-introduced the chicken and rice kibble and he is still fine.

So he doesnt have an allergy to chicken at all.. but the meds have made him better.

He is eating like a horse and putting on weight..........a regular chubby little puppy now!! :*nana:

Can't wait for the weather to cheer up, Mel, so we can walk in the forest with you and Leo! :D

Back