Thread: Deramaxx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deramaxx

We recently changed Leopold's pain medicine from a steroid to the non steroid Deramaxx. He
    has a bad disc in his back & only takes it occasionally. I can tell when he's hurting. He has a
    grade 3 heart murmur so I worried about the steroids.

Does anyone have any experience, pro or con, with Deramaxx?
    Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold
    3 cats - Rumor, Serenity, & Thor

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the only experience (not personal but through a friend) I've had with deramaxx was not good. I won't allow either of mine to be prescribed deramaxx. In fact, our vet doesn't prescribe it anymore. If we need a pain med we use Rimadyl instead. Just my experience.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of experience? Can you be more specific.
    Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold
    3 cats - Rumor, Serenity, & Thor

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't want to alarm you. But I personally would steer clear of deramaxx. A friend's Cavalier was taking it and had some kind of internal damage (I don't remember the specifics) but he was in very bad shape and almost didn't make it. He still has residual problems from it. It just wouldn't be my pain med of choice. As with any pain med, always be aware of the possible side effects and use only as necessary....that's my advice. If I needed more long term pain meds I'd probably look at something like Dog Gone Pain. Please remember though...I am not a vet and have no medical expertise. This is just my personal opinon.

If you google "deramaxx side effects" you'll find several articles written about it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah