Thread: more feeding info req plz!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default more feeding info req plz!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it is all new to us.
    after reading conflicting stories and looking at bags of food i thought iit would be best to ask?
    how much should you feed a 4 month old pup.
    at the present charlie is having 3 meals aday, 1 3/4 ounce at breakfast and supper and about 1 1/2 ounce at lunchtime. he weighs approx 3kg and looks healthy is very active,but always keeps licking the bowl like he wants more.
    stools are formed but softish to pickup is this normal or could it be the food choice.
    fed on royal canin mini junior.
    Sorry i'm rambling so i'll stop.

many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There really is no set amount -- depends on the size and metabolism of your puppy, generally! I'd follow what is recommended on your bag as a base guideline -- but that sounds kind of a small amount and manufacturers often over-recommend... I'd generally have fed about 8oz/1 cup of food over three meals and that is the amount most breeders seem to recommend . However most people are supplementing with a few treats as well. Check with your vet if concerned or on next visit. Most puppies tend to eat what they need so if he is still hungry I'd wonder if he isn't being underfed a bit.

How old is he?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com