• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

She growled at me!

tara

Holly is almost two years old and I've not heard her growl until tonight. She was sleeping on the bed in my bedroom when I walked in to take her outside for one last potty before going to sleep. Granted it's very cold here now and she probably did not want to be taken from a warm comfortable bed. I approached her and began to pick her up when she let out a growl. I was surprised, so I backed away from her for a couple minutes while telling her she needed to go outside (as if she understands English!). I then went to pick her up again and she went with me without objection.

Did I handle this the right way? I believe that it's okay for a dog to growl -- it is their way of warning I guess. I hated to disturb her, but it was my bed and she did need to go out.

I find that dogs curled up comfortably are sometimes quite awkward to pick up, so the growling may have been no more than that you accidentally poked a finger in her ribs or tummy. Second time round, she had shifted enough for you to pick her up more easily. Your laid back attitude seems the right response - perhaps give her a little reward and extra encouragement for moving for a few nights? My Aled hates these freezing cold nights and has to be more or less booted out into the garden - and I must say I sympathise!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

If she was asleep maybe you startled her and that was her reaction not knowing that it was you. Or as Kate said maybe you caught her uncomfortably. I wouldnt worry too much about it :flwr:

Its ok

I wouldnt worry,my guy does this also if my husband goes to lift him off our bed, its only because he's comfy there and doesnt want to move. They are hard to pick up at times:p

I hated to disturb her, but it was my bed
Ahhh, that was your mistake; not realising that you have to give up every soft spot to a cavalier... :lol:

More seriously -- this wouldn't be too uncommon and you handled it well, and you got some good advice above. :) As Kate suggests, I'd praise well when she does what you wish, and coming towards her to lure her off with a treat is a great idea, or having a treat to reward her for polite behaviour when you pick her up.

The best approach though if you have a dog that is getting a little territorial like this is to give her something to do so it doesn't happen in the first place... teach her 'off' ('down' most people use for 'lie down' and you don't want two meanings for one command). Use some really great little treats like small cheese cubes and hold it before her nose, then lure her to the ground. Praise and reward when she gets onto the floor from a couch or bed. Repeat and after a few tries, where she follows dutifully, start to say her name then 'off' (just once! Or she will think the command is Holly, offoffoffoffoff) as you lure her off. Practice, then try saying the command alone and see if she comes off. If not try holding the treat down on the floor and give the command. Practice and reinforce with praise and sometimes, treats (to keep her working in expectation of the occasional jackpot).

Then, you only have to call her and give her the command 'off' to get her down on the floor... :)

Jake just did this to me last night :eek:. The dogs have been sleeping with us the past couple of months and Jake gets a little too comfortable. He'll growl if my husband tries to move him, I've told him "don't let him do that to you, nudge him with your foot under the covers, he needs to move". Would he tolerate me sleeping on top of him :slp:?? When I went to move Jake last night, he gave out a little growl, I stopped, waited for him to wake up a little and realize it was his momma telling him to move:rolleyes: and then we were fine. To me, it's important that I don't back down but then.....if I get woken up from a deep sleep....I might growl a little too to show my displeasure :D.

Thanks guys! I've worked really hard to achieve a good temperment in Holly, so I was surprised when my little "angel" exhibited less desirable behavior. I need to remember that she is a dog, after all! After it happened I thought that I probably just missed a training opportunity.

I'm going to work on the off command from human furniture. Holly is certainly welcome on our beds, couches, etc., but she also needs to know that when politely asked she must remove herself. I've got two young children in the house, so I'm always on the lookout for any potentially dangerous situations in their interactions with Holly. Funny thing is, I did something that I would have NEVER allowed my kids to do -- disturb Holly when she's sleeping.:rolleyes:

hi

When i first got charlie and poppy i did'nt know a lot about them.
And when i used to picked her up she would make this noise like growling.
well i thought she was growling. but no she was'nt it's some thing
to do with her voice box i was told cav's do that and also she snores.
It is so loud she keeps us awake. is that norma? its like snorting if you know
what i mean. is anyone else's little one's do it charlie dont snores
when she jump's up to greet people she will make that noise it's when she lift's her head
people think she is growling at them.

When i first got charlie and poppy i did'nt know a lot about them.
And when i used to picked her up she would make this noise like growling.
well i thought she was growling. but no she was'nt it's some thing
to do with her voice box i was told cav's do that and also she snores.
It is so loud she keeps us awake. is that norma? its like snorting if you know
what i mean. is anyone else's little one's do it charlie dont snores
when she jump's up to greet people she will make that noise it's when she lift's her head
people think she is growling at them.

Well we recently got a new little pup called Poppy , she is a Ruby and is lovely , however she has started to make a grumbling noise when we pick her up , mailnly when she is tired ! I am a bit taken aback by it to be honest as when Molly was alive she never did this and Alfie has also never done this . I will be honest and say it worries me. It worries me more than it does my wife but now im just looking for the right advice to hopefully train this out of her as like i say in all other aspects she is lovely . What i find strange is that she comes to us for affection when she is tired and yet when we move her as we need to get up or for whatever reason she gives out this kind of grumble !

Riley does something like this also. Especially in the early mornings before we get up, she comes up to me, puts her head on my shoulder and lets out a grumbling sound. I have likened it to purring because it seems like she's content. Like Poppy, it only happens when she has been sound asleep and I pick her up or she moves to be closer to me. I have also equated it to a sigh (although it certainly doesn't sound like a sigh). For people (or maybe just for older people like me), sometimes when you've been in one position for too long, you stretch and groan when you move - maybe that's what it is. Maybe Poppy's grumbling is more distinct than Riley's (and Riley is a lot older than Poppy) but I find it somewhat endearing.

Sasha sometimes does this too, when she's in (our) bed for the night and we need to take her out for the "last call". We just tell her to stop, and pick her up anyway. It's a little disconcerting, but we feel we can't give in to it. Ever since we've not backed away, it occurs much less frequently.

It's really more of a grumble than a growl.... no teeth or anything!

It's really more of a grumble than a growl.... no teeth or anything!

Molly does this if I disturb her when she is snuggled up, I think I would grumble too if someone
tried to get me out of a nice cosy bed. That is probably all it is a little grumble :p

My little one Porthos, will grumble and it is so funny....cos he does it when we arn't touching him too! It's almost like the noise a human would make.... :p He does it rolling over in his sleep, he does it if you pick him up and he's tired and he does it if you pop him over your shoulder (accompanied by his head snuggling into your neck).

It is cute!!!!

Back