• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Research: Splitting the dura: alternative surgery

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This is quite interesting:

http://conquerchiari.org/subs only/Volume 7/Issue 7(5)/Dura splitting 7(5).asp

And perhaps would be of relevance to decompressions in cavaliers. Rather than entirely cutting through the dura, the stiff band of tissue that encircles the brain, the surgical team peeled back the first layer -- and had results comparable to more invasive decompressions. As the formation of scar tissue often causes the complications with regular decompressions, and this method seems to stop scar tissue formation, prhaps ths would be a good compromise.

Presumably this is because by lowering the thickness of the dura it becomes more flexible and can adjust to accommodate the brain? Could have promising possibilities for Cavaliers, since I gather scar tissue is a major cause of eventual failure with decompression surgery?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yes that is what I understand... dog CM/SM can be different because they carry their head horizontally on their necks so maybe it would not work or maybe it would. I believe Geoff Skerritt does decompression something along these lines - he either splits the dura or doesn't remove it, not sure which. I know many of the neurologists/neurosurgeons doing decompressions feel it is important to remove the dura -- we so badly need some comparison studies in dogs!!

That's really interesting Karlin - I think we will all still be learning and experimenting for many years to come...

It would make sense with regard to the scar tissue.

Back