Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a 3 month old pup... feeding info please?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have a 3 month old pup... feeding info please?

OUr new pup, Lewis, is 13 weeks old now.

When we had him he had really loose stools with a drop of blood at the end. We fed him chicken and rice to try to firm it up (vet's advice) but it didnt firm up so eventually when i realised it had been a month that he had been on this I introduced slowly some Arden Grange puppy kibble and now he is on that all the time.

The problem is, when our last pup, Reuben, was on this, his stools were firm,,, easy to pick up like a sausage.

Lewis still has stools like a Mr.Whippy icecream!! He is full of life and energy, eats and drinks well and is full of mischief!!

Iim just wondering if anyone else has a pup of this age who is on arden grange and is the output the same as Lewis's?

Should I try something else??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you need to go back to the vet. This sounds like some sort of bacterial infection or other gastro problem. Not good for a puppy to have runs for such a long period. Also: was the puppy wormed correctly, eg two wormings a short time apart? Stool sample/foecal exam for coccidia or other problems taken since? I really doubt the issue is the food. Blood in the stool is often a sign of worms or other gastrointestinal problems.

The rice/chicken approach is really short term, and should help within a few days. If nothing has changed, IMHO he needs to see the vet.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I think you need to go back to the vet. This sounds like some sort of bacterial infection or other gastro problem. Not good for a puppy to have runs for such a long period. Also: was the puppy wormed correctly, eg two wormings a short time apart? Stool sample/foecal exam for coccidia or other problems taken since? I really doubt the issue is the food. Blood in the stool is often a sign of worms or other gastrointestinal problems.

The rice/chicken approach is really short term, and should help within a few days. If nothing has changed, IMHO he needs to see the vet.
    Thanks Karlin,

yes he was wormed at the correct tiimes.

its firmed up a lot compared to how it was... it is now what i would call softish. it is formed, but not hard seperate pieces.

I will do as you advise thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I fed my first puppy Daisy on Arden Grange(Lamb and rice) and it should produce hard small stools.
    Is he getting treats in between feeds?
    Definitely check back with your vet,as long as your vet can verify that the puppy is gaining weight and thriving you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Just keep feeding at the recommended amounts and hope it setles down soon.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    I fed my first puppy Daisy on Arden Grange(Lamb and rice) and it should produce hard small stools.
    Is he getting treats in between feeds?
    Definitely check back with your vet,as long as your vet can verify that the puppy is gaining weight and thriving you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Just keep feeding at the recommended amounts and hope it setles down soon.
    Sins
    ooh yes he is definitely gaining weight..he is lovely and chubby! loves food. and runs about all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

my cav boy has always been like this, have had him at vets numerous times and they have done loads of test, nothing. he apart from this, is very healthy, great weight, beautiful coat. Was worried about him and prob didnt help matters by changing his food. now i have him on rc cavalier and he is as u describe, still abit soft but now i dont worry as i said he is healthy and now i just put it down to the way he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sensitive tummy

I work in a holistic based pet food/supply store and see this complaint alot with my customers. Perhaps he has a sensitivity to whatever meat source (or grain) is in the food? My pup has a very sensitive tummy and cannot handle any kibble that has chicken in it. She is now on a raw diet and is doing great! Adding a bit of yoghurt or canned pumpkin to the food may also prove helpful. Or look into getting a pro-biotic supplement. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Erin... very coincidental you should say that!

Vets last night.. he has been put on some meds for a few days but also has had his food changed to Hills Science Diet Lamb

The vet also said it may be chicken that is the problem.

his stool this morning was a bit firmer than normal so hoping that will do the trick.. and hoping the meds sort out the irritation inside.

As money is a big issue with us, she is starting on that first.. stools samples later if this doesnt work.

Post Thanks / Like

Chaos is unable to tolerate kibble with chicken and is also on Hills Lamb and Rice and is doing very well on it. You don't have to buy it through the vet, my pet shop orders it for me in 3kg bags. It is much more expensive that other brands of kibble, about 15.75, but well worth it.
    Judy

Chaos B/T Cavalier girl (1.1.2004) Armani Chinese Crested girl (16.12.2002) Onyx Chinese Crested Boy (1.8.2009)

Post Thanks / Like

She has put him on the tinned food first to give his tummy a bit of a rest... but once he gets better i think i will try lamb kibble. At some point i will try a normal good brand of lamb.. just to see if it works as well as the Science Diet.