• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A question on clipping a Ruby's nails

The Rouge Princess

Hi All

I'm wishing to know what other members do when it comes to nail clipping? Do you use a Groomer or are you confident enough to do them yourself? If so, could anyone share any ideas on a good pair of clippers, please?

I understand if you can hear the nails "clicking" on tile flooring, then they're too long.This doesn't seem to be the case with Scarlett, what I believe I hear is her pads sort of "clapping" the floor when trotting along :confused:

Scarlett is in the last part of her season and has been inside whilst she has been in "flow".I'm just wondering if this is why they seem a little longer and maybe sharper.Scarlett leapt on me after I'm came down from having a bath the other evening and left scratch marks on my calf.This isn't an issue of course but it did leave a red mark, so I'm wondering if this could be an indication that they could do with a trim?

Also, with Scarlett being a Ruby her nails are quite dark.I know the quick only runs down so far but I'm worried I may go too far and scare her for life :eek:

Any advice is much appreciated

Rouge

x

Edit - Re my mentioning Scarlett's season, Jonathan and I have planned on having her spayed April/May time, once we've calculated her full, first season to ensure it is done between seasons :)

I clip my dogs' nails myself, but then I have nine dogs.

Many people get vets or groomers to do this for them. You do have to be quite firm if you do this yourself as it is not high up in the list of fun things for a cavalier to do.

I find the simplest way is to turn the dog on its back on the footstool and clamp it between my knees. My cavaliers & chins are accustomed to me doing this and they are usually very good, especially as they get a little bit of biscuit as a treat for each each paw successfully completed ( I usually cut the hair between their pads at the same time )

If you are uncertain how much to take off, and it is difficult if the nail is black and you cannot see the pink fleshy quick, then trim only a small amount and do it every two weeks, as the quick will recede back and you are less likely to catch it & make it bleed.

I use steel guillotine clippers, you can buy them on Amazon, and they are easy to manage.

Some people use grinders, but I have not tried them myself, so I can't comment on them.

I personally don't like the guillotine style clippers, but it's more because they are rarely strong enough to go through really big dogs nails. I would recommend that you take your dog into a groomer/vet and ask them to show you the correct way to clip your dog's nails. I've never known anyone who wasn't happy to demonstrate the correct way.

As far as grinders go, we always used drummel tools from the hardware store to file nails. It makes quick work of the job, and allows you to shape the edge.

Thank you for your helpful replies :) Upon closer inspection this weekend,I do believe they're ready for clipping, even if it is only a small amount.I thinks it's the best idea with regards to the Cavs' large eyes.

I will take her to a Groomer asap and ask for them to demonstrate for me.It'd be an ideal way to introduce Scarlett to a nice, good Groomers.I'll take along some chicken :p

Is there anything I should be aware of/look for when choosing a Groomer? If this question would be better as a new thread,Mods, just say (y)

I'll look into clippers for home,also :)

Thanks again

Rouge
x

I have a pair of scissor-style nail trimmers from Millers Forge. I find them easier to use than the guillatine style, but it's personal preference. I have a ruby and a b/t, so I have lots of dark nails to clip! I trim them every 2 weeks, along with giving them a bath, a thorough, ear cleaning, etc. I groom them in our master shower since there's a built-in bench. They sit on a towel on the bench (it's stone, so the towel keeps them from sliding). They wear their snoods when I trim their nails so their ears don't get in the way ;) I trim them just a little, and they get a piece of cheese after each paw is done. This is the only time they get cheese, so they are happy to jump up on the bench and go through the torture of getting their nails trimmed, all for a little cheese! :lol: Truman's nails are solid black and Miles' nails are a combination of dark brown and translucent, so they're sometimes hard to trim without quicking 1 nail on each of them. Since I only trim a little at a time even if I do quick them, it's only a little, and sometimes they don't even seem to notice. Their slippers make it hard to trim sometimes, especially those dew claws. They're hidden in a big tuft of fur! I notice that if I talk to them the entire time they are calmer and don't pull their paws away as much. I started talking to Truman because he really doesn't like getting his nails trimmed, and I noticed that it distracts him and calms him down.

I started doing it myself because it was $25 to get their nails trimmed (for 2), and that adds up! It's not something I like doing or the dogs like, but it's a necessary evil, so I figured I might as well learn how to do it myself! It's not hard, you just have to get used to it, and get your dogs used to it. The high-value treats work wonders! :D

We do it ourselves also. I used to take them to Petsmart & they only charged $8 a dog but I would watch them & think I can do this. Luckily Remus only has 2 black nails. One is the dew. Loki & Leo are all white. With 3 it is a chore because I have to cut the hair on their pads first & Loki hates to have his front paws touched in any way so he's always a struggle. The nail clipping is the easiest part of it. ;)

I do absolutely everything all the grooming and bathing, I am too scared to do their claws I leave it for
the vet, approximately every 5 weeks I get them checked with their anal glands. I can assure you they are not impressed! :eek:

I can bet not, Tania :)

I do trim between her pads and she's quite good as she gets a nibble of something after every paw - like others have said with clipping.I agree with what someone said about their slippers making it harder to trim the nails, there's so much fluff around there :lol:

Rouge

x

I get the groomer to do this, but last time I was in the vet we were talking about this, and he pointed out to me that the quick on the front of the claw was different to the back of the claw, ie higher up on the back, so be careful if you are doing it yourself, check both sides first :eek:

Back