• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Breed Records going back to 1920

I think one of the reasons that some people are dragging their feet about the EBV scheme is that they know that whether they like it or not their dogs will be on it, simply because they appear in the pedigrees of dogs whose scan results have been submitted. For example, Oliver's father (now dead) was never scanned but is known to have sired at least two offspring with SM from different bitches. So there is a high possibility that if he didn't have asymptomatic SM himself he was at least a carrier. Because I have sent in Oliver's scan results, his father will appear on the EBV database and be scored as having produced SM offspring. If he was still alive and someone wanted to use him at stud, his breeding values would reflect this.

Of course if some of the owners of top stud dogs who are so sure they don't have SM want to set the EBV record straight, all they have to do is get their dogs scanned and send in the clear result. If their dogs actually do have SM or are proven carriers, this will come up on the EBV anyway, through the pedigrees of their offspring whose positive scan results have been submitted. The bitch also contributes, of course, but rumours about your top dog are going to be flying around when the EBV goes public, and the simplest way of scotching the rumours is to get your dog scanned and the result sent to the AHT. If you still refuse to scan, the Cavalier rumour mill will simply get worse - what are you trying to hide?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Breed Records Going back to 1920

Kate H

In my going back looking at the Old Files I have collected over the years about our Cavalier Breed ,I think this will answer your Post.

It was Published in Dog World ...10-5- 1996.

Written by Dr B. Cattanach ,the Geneticist, who had been involved in trying to help the UK CKCS CLUB with the Cavalier MVD Problem, but had to walk away because of the Lack of co-operation from a number of Cavalier Breeders.( Does this sound Familiar with the attitude of some Cavalier Breeders and the SM Poblem to-day)

Here is one Particular Quote I would like to pass on.

"The Cavalier Health Committee has Worked very hard , but to make further progress and Provide all the INFORMATION NEEDED,it will require SUBSTANTIALLY more SUPPORT than it has has been Given so far,from Individul Breeders .

I hope that this support will be Forthcoming"

Dr Cattanach's words ,not Mine , but sure could be Applied as to what is Happening by some Cavalier Breeders and their Attitude of the Cavalier SM Problem To-Day.

This Article was written bt Dr B.Cattanach, just on 14 YEARS AGO.

For the Cavalier Health Problems by Some Cavalier Breeders,this Saying Spings to Mind.

IT WAS EVER THUS!!!

Bet

Going back to the original topic, Margaret it is fascinating to see these pages - thank you to Bet for sending it on to you.

Especially interesting for me to see Rupert's Sire's original record :D

If you have a minute and could put up Rupert's page that would be great, willl send on some money

{breeder V Walker, Reddingvale Rupert, 11th June 1996, dam Tamyse Bryony at Deranmar}

This is the original Just a Thought thread

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?33739-Just-a-Thought&highlight=thought

and the subforum

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?33750-Welcome-to-the-Rupert-s-Fund-forum!

4368729140_4e78cdce9c_b.jpg
Going back to the original topic, Margaret it is fascinating to see these pages - thank you to Bet for sending it on to you.

Especially interesting for me to see Rupert's Sire's original record :D

If you have a minute and could put up Rupert's page that would be great, willl send on some money

{breeder V Walker, Reddingvale Rupert, 11th June 1996, dam Tamyse Bryony at Deranmar}

This is the original Just a Thought thread

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?33739-Just-a-Thought&highlight=thought

and the subforum

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?33750-Welcome-to-the-Rupert-s-Fund-forum!

Here it is Nicki.

I remember going to see Rupert's litter when they were about 8 weeks. They were lovely puppies.

That's great Margaret thank you so much - it's wonderful to see the beginning :D

They all lived to a good age too - we know about 4 of them, one lived to 11, the others to 12 and 13, which was fantastic.

For quite some years I collected postcards of toy spaniels.

I thought you may like to see these cards, all posted in 1905 when the longer nosed spaniel should not have existed.

4368446399_cd82603db8_m.jpg
4369192972_42c99f737e_m.jpg
4368448141_459b73133c_m.jpg

Margaret thanks for posting the postcards.

Well it does appear that Cavaliers did exist in 1905 and I wonder how many more.

It was 23 years later in 1928 that the American Roswell Eldridge approached the KC and offered the prize, this after he had been looking and couldn’t find any for his "foundation stock".

Breed Records going Back to 1920.

Thanks Margaret ,for letting us see those Photos.

For others interested in the History of our Cavalier Breed,there's a Quote in the Cruft's Catalogue for 1926 .

Blenheim Spaniels of the Old Type ,as shown in Pictures of Charles 11's Time .

Long Face ,No Stop,Flat Skull,Not Inclined to be Domed with Spot in the Centre of Skull.

The First Prize of£25 inClass 947 and 948 are by Roswell Eldridge Esq., of New York ,USA .

Prizes go to the nearest to Type Required

Mr. R. Eldridge had been very disappointed to find only the Noseless Type of King Charles in England and kindly offered £25 for 3 years ,later extended to 5 years ,for the best of the Old Type .

In spite of this generous Prize only Two Entries were received in the First Year

The Winner of the First £25 was Ferdie of Monham ,born 19-11- 1923.

Sire Vital Spark

Dam Monham Reece.

For some-more of a wee bit of Interest,

Vital Spark was ANN'S SON's Grand-Father .

Bet

Fascinating photos, Margaret. The Dukes of Marlborough kept the longer nosed Blenheims going at Blenheim Palace - I suppose because they had bred them there for a long time and had their own lines - and regarded them as 'their' dogs. There's a photo of them that appears in most of the histories of the breed - a bit shorter nosed than those on the postcards but still definitely not Charlies. It's really not surprising that there were still longer nosed dogs around in 1905 - the fashion for short noses and domed heads only seems to have come in in the 1880s (when oriental dogs such as Pekes and Chins became fashionable - there are plenty of paintings of long noses up until then) and Charlie type wouldn't really have become unshakeably fixed in 25 years.

Serious Charlie breeders (who would be likely to show at Crufts) would have sold the throwback long nosed puppies as pets, so if Mr Eldridge was looking for long nosed spaniels from among the show people, it's hardly surprising he didn't find any.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Very nice postcard photos.The little guy in the tin bath wouldn't look out of place on my couch today.
Sins

I have a lot more old postcards, so I will start a new thread. I think I will call it memorabilia so we can include other cavalier related items.

I have the photo that Kate mentions, I will look it out.

Back