• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear Infection

jasperpaw

Looks like Jasper has a bit of an ear infection, we noticed at the weekend Jasper was smelling a bit, time for a bath, but he normally does`nt smell, anyway this morning I happened to check his ears as the smell seems to be around his head, he has all this brown fluid coming from his ear and it is a bit pink, it smells really foul, but he has not been scratching his ear, so phoned the vet and he is going up later. I now feel really guilty I had not noticed before.:(

Don't worry, he'll be sorted once the vet has a look.There are some great products on the market for treating ear infections.Good luck with the appointment and let us know how it goes.
Sins

It can be hard to notice such things til the signs are pretty apparent. Hope he gets all fixed up! :)

Jasper has been given some Canaural ear drops to be given twice a day, the vet cleaned out his ear and wants to see him again in a weeks time. It looks like a two person job with the ear drops, he`s a little devilicon_devil and he`s now rubbing his ear all around the carpet. No symptoms other than this foul smell.

I now feel really guilty I had not noticed before.:(

Don't worry about it, we all miss things. I have missed ear infections in the past and have felt terrible when I realised what was up. He's on the mend now though and should be back to himself (his non smelly self!) in no time!

Jasper went back to vets yesterday after one week on canaural drops, his ear it still a bit inflammed, but the vet said he looks like he has a small lump probably a polyps, which he said was unusal for dogs, mostly cats get them, he did have a grass seed removed from his ear when he was about 3 so don't know if this is anything to do with that, we can't remember which ear it was at it was so long ago. He has another week of drops and back again next week, the vet said that if it is a polyps they would not be able to remove it because of Jasper heart conditon, so hope it won`t give him too much trouble.

Jasper went back to vets yesterday after one week on canaural drops, his ear it still a bit inflammed, but the vet said he looks like he has a small lump probably a polyps.
my sunshine had a horrible ear infection last summer...it took us month and half to finally clear it up, but the vet said this same thing about her ear. We were close to choosing surgery since the lump was covering 80% of her ear canal. Well, we chose a wait and see since the vet said it may just be inflammed due to the infection. So with our final re-check her ear was normal and the lump had gone down in size. It was a huge relief. Now we have to watch the lump in her ear for growth and will choose surgery if it continues to cause problems. My vet said because of this, it might make her more prone to ear infections in that ear.

I find it helps prevent ear infections to use Canaural every few weeks, just to clean out and disinfect the ear. It's not a prescription medicine, so you can buy it pretty cheaply (cheaper than the vets!) on the internet. Aled had a terrible ear infection when I first had him, but in spite of very heavy ears has been fine since I started the regular cleaning.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate, I did`nt know you could get Canaural without prescription, it is over £10 a bottle at vets, back to vets tomorrow so will see if it is still inflammed, also a bit worried about this lump, especially if it gets bigger and can`t be removed because of Jasper`s MVD.

Sorry, got confused with similar names! What I use is Cleanaural, which is well-known and non-prescription. I got a big bottle for about £15, which has lasted my two almost a year, and it does work.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Well after another visit to the vets the lump has gone which is a relief. Jasper has now been given some Clean Aural to be used three times a week but does not have to go back again so thats good.:)

Last edited:
Back