• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice needed on Training Course

Sabby

In September I would love to enrol into a part time course (1 year) for Canine Training and Behaviour NOCN Level 3.
The course is designed as six units.
· Canine Behaviour · Science of learning · Canine Care and Welfare · World of Dogs · Dog Trainer Skills
· Teaching Dogs

My Question is in regards to the Entry requirements. This is what it says:
Entry requirements There are no formal entry requirements; life experience will be taken into account and students ability to satisfy the course tutor of their ability to study both practical and theory at this level.

My Question
Will my experience in owning dogs for the last 23 years, all my obedience and agility training be enough? My friend who is a Dog Training Assistant suggested to do some research into the subjects and read a lot of books. I would be grateful for any suggestions’ please.

My Question
Reading through the course information there is a lot they cover and it sounds a lot for 1 day a week in one year. I don’t mind putting in the time and a lot of work as this is what I always wanted to do. Is anybody familiar with this type of course and what I can expect?

For what it's worth, 23 years would have you in there alright! I was looking at getting this dog communication book called "The Rosetta Bone", I hear it's quite good. Good Luck!

I think all your previous obedience and agility training will be invaluable to you! :)

This is just my opinion, but you might want to read a good, comprehensive book on dog care if you haven't already. I really like this book: ASPCA Complete Dog Care Manual - The Ulitimate Illustrated Guide to Caring for Your Dog by Bruce Fogle, DVM. Because with all dog behavior problems, we always have to remember to ask if this could be caused by pain or other health-related condition. An ear infection or a bladder infection can make a dog difficult to manage or train.

Read about canine nutrition if you haven't already. Also, maybe try to read something by the very best behaviorists and trainers: Patricia McConnell, Ian Dunbar, Jean Donaldson. Watch Victoria Stillwell and visit her website.

After 23 years of owning and training dogs, you probably know much more than you'd give yourself credit for. Best wishes for your class!

Thank you both for your advice. I will do a lot of reading until September. I really want to get on this course. I ordered two books yesterday that were recommended to me.
The 100 silliest things people say about dogs by Alexandra Semyonova. The title sounds silly but I read some of it on line and its very good.
Barking : The sound of language (Dog wise training manual) by Turid Rugass

Just to show you in detail what the course covers.
Canine Behaviour - includes the history and origins of dogs, cultural, geographical and historical influences, breed differentials and instinctive drives, normal development, adaptation, rehabilitation, communication and relationship, physical and mental health and the affects on behaviour.

· Science of Learning - includes the basic formula and theories, classical and operant conditioning, self -teaching, natural learning, instinctive learning and factors that influence learning.
· Canine Care and Welfare - includes anatomy and physiology, grooming, nutrition, reproduction, common aliments, first aid, diseases and parasites.

· World of Dogs - includes organisations, governing bodies and authorities, business, qualifications and careers, rescue facilities, kennels, housing and transport law, insurance and risk assessment.

· Dog Trainer Skills - includes communication skills and languages, assessment, observation and anticipation, teaching skills and practical disciplines.

· Teaching Dogs - includes design and planning of learning, practice and training, assessment and evaluation, integrating training, behavioural solutions and adjustment, health and safety and recording data.

Alongside the subject matter the students will also study:
· Improving own learning and performance
· Developing and using research skills
· Building a personal career portfolio
· Using teamwork skills
· Developing presentation skills
· Personal career planning

I think you probably have plenty of basic experience to do this course. It probably sounds a bit more intimidating than it is, in terms of how much reading etc there would be, but courses like this do generally require a lot of self-motivation and commitment (which you will undoubtedly have as the topic is of such interest! :) ).

You could PM TKC too as she has gone through quite a few courses and has several professional qualifications. She might be familiar with the course.

I think it sounds like a LOT of fun! :)

Back