Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panting, can this be pain

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are able to find a neurologist near you. If you can, bring a copy of Todo's MRI scan. Your vet should be able to give you a disc of it. Riley and Oliver's neurologist gives me discs for free, but some services may charge a nominal fee for it. I just think that having the previous scan may help the neurologist make a diagnosis - or he/she may order a new MRI depending on the quality of the previous scan. I do believe that having Todo be seen by a neurologist is the way to go here given his history and his current discomfort. Good luck to you.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With Tellington Touch you rub gently down the ears, one ear at a time and supporting the head and ear with the other hand, it is very effective at calming a dog, especially useful at the vets This is similar to what Pauline is doing with Dylan, and obviously effective for him too.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If he has had an MRI then I don;t think you need another. But I'd want a second opinion on that 'clear' diagnosis and also: to try CMSM meds to see if CM is causing the pain (it could b the issue).

I'd suggest sending it to Dr Clare Rusbridge for a second opinion. That will only cost 35 pounds for basic report I think. You can read information here on what to do.

If she doesn't see anything and doesn;t think it could possibly be CM then maybe it is time to discuss surgery. I think there were lots of suggestions on things you might try first on your old thread? But really: I think youd want to try treating for CM first as almost every cavalier has it. But do have Clare reassess your MRI first.

If he is in pain, you do want most urgently, to get him onto appropriate painkillers to bring some relief.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    With Tellington Touch you rub gently down the ears, one ear at a time and supporting the head and ear with the other hand, it is very effective at calming a dog, especially useful at the vets This is similar to what Pauline is doing with Dylan, and obviously effective for him too.
    Yes I started with Tellington Touch, very useful, check it out on youtube.

But, Like Karlin says, he needs pain meds urgently. I only suggested acupressure as an interim.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping you all will hold me in the same contempt that I hold myself. I took Todd for further treatment, further scans showed that his discs had enflammed. I took the decision to operate.... and I lost him. I gambled with the life of the most beautiful and loving 2 year old friend you could ever hope to meet. It has took me 4 days to come on here because I can't look myself in the mirror at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh no so very very sorry to hear this - please please don't beat yourself up, we can only do what we think is the the best at the time with the information we have.

You did take him back for treatment and that is the important thing.

We are all here if you need us...

Take care and give yourself time to grieve - maybe you would like to post a memorial to Todd in that section? I have found that helps.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no please don't feel like that. You couldn't have left him in that pain and if the operation was his only hope, you had to try that. I feel so sorry for your loss. I am sure the others will be a real comfort to you at this time though they must be miss him too.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Meg, ( the youngest (Ruby )), was always full of life. I think she has noticed the most, she comes to cuddle me, but in the most gentle way. We got Meg to be a companion to Todd, Roxy is close to Ben's age. I just never thought we would be leaving us that day. We didn't say goodbye properly, just handed him over expecting to get him back the next day. Every room has a seperate memory, I just have no escape form his memory. I won't every forget him, nor do I want to, but I am usless as a human at the moment, can't think, sleep or eat, just in a trance.

Post Thanks / Like

You are most probably in shock right now. Cuddle close to Meg and try to get out of the house as much as you can.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Im so so so sorry you lost your precious boy-

i know nothing anyone says will help right now but do try to keep Meg as normal as possible and I found that Bachs Recovery Remedy helped my two when I was going through a seperation and they were reallly suffering through my emotions- just put some in her drinking water every day x

I hope you feel better soon xxxxx

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play