Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orijen dog food

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orijen dog food

I switched from Arden Grange to Orijen recently because of difficulties in getting Arden Grange. Since changing over, one of my dogs has been having loose stools, (not all the time, sometimes they are fine, sometimes soft and sometimes very soft) which he had before we used Arden Grange.
    I am currently feeding them the '6 Fresh Fish with Sea Vegetables' mix, because my other dog has allergies. Do you think it would be worth my while to try a different Orijen variety, or is it back to the drawing board again, to try another brand of food?
    Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks folks,
    Charli

Post Thanks / Like

It is entirely possible your dog is allergic to fish, or any of the ingredients in the food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    It is entirely possible your dog is allergic to fish, or any of the ingredients in the food.
    Thanks Waldor, maybe, but the Arden Grange variety we were using also had fish in it, I think he might be allergic to grains, but I don't think there are any grains in the Orijen, just fish and veggies.

Post Thanks / Like

i fed orijen to my 4 girls for three months. they had loose stools during the whole period, much too loose for my tase. also thier coats were not as glossy and gleaming as they usually are, possibly du to the fact that the food was not properly digested.

we tried the fish, chicken and' regional red' variants, all with the same result.

so i gave it up, and their stools returned to normal right away.

i don't know what is added to this kibble, know many dog owners who are very pleased with orijen, and it is probably good stuff.

but not for my cavaliers. i returned to raw food with bella, kandis and frida, and am testing Wolfsblut for sienna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Have you tried Burns ,its great for firmer pick ups ,and one of the best foods around .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

Have you tried Burns ,its great for firmer pick ups ,and one of the best foods around .
    Yes, Burns was the food I always used until Bosco came along with his problems, otherwise I would still be using it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a constant battle for anyone who has three or more dogs - what to feed?! Orijen is the food I always recommend because even my lady with colitis was able to eat it. One of my other dogs had gooey poo while on it but was full of life and was in great shape, and the poo situation did improve a good bit when I put him on the 6 Fish. Dogs are like humans, some food just don't agree with them. One of my dogs did very badly on Burns, even though it's a great food. Currently I'm feeding JWB and so far so good. They do a grain free variety which may suit your little one who is allergic to grain (I also have one who does very badly with grains, the above mentioned colitis lady). I was quite surprised how well they all, bar one - typical, do on the JWB. Def worth a try!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lorebringer, I haven't tried JWB, but have just looked it up in the internet, and it seems to tick all the boxes for me. I 'll buy a small bag of it and see how he gets on. this one will work. He doesn't seem to mind having soft poos, but it doesn'tdo my constitution much good !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Or you could do like I do - 2-3 different brands of dog food in the cupboard in order to accommodate their little tummies...
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    Or you could do like I do - 2-3 different brands of dog food in the cupboard in order to accommodate their little tummies...
    hmmm.... it could easily come to that yet!