• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dougalls Anal Glands Again!

Tania

Anal Glands have been a bit of a pain in the bum to say the least:xctly:.
We seemed to have resolved the problem with Molly by adding fibre to her food and she is now fine. Around 3 months ago, Dougall had an infection which we caught early on. We have gradually increased Fibre but once again today his glands were full. I have just read in a Magazine of a Cavalier suffering with Anal Gland problems and Colitis, the owner has switched food to Protexin pro- balance and this has resolved the problem. Has anyone heard of this? Dougall is normally fed on Ground Veg/Fruit chicken and fish plus he likes Royal Canin for CKSS.

I've never heard of that food, so can't help you there. I use to sprinkle Bran on Cara's food because she suffered from the same problem and hated having her anal glands squeezed. The bran worked very well for her.

Hope Dougall gets sorted.

I use to sprinkle Bran on Cara's food because she suffered from the same problem and hated having her anal glands squeezed. The bran worked very well for her.QUOTE]

Claire, what kind of bran? Oat? Wheat? I'm having a problem with Chocolate's anal glands - she had an abscess about 5 weeks ago. The vet recommended we feed her a limited ingredient food from now on, which we're doing. I'd like to add the bran to her food.

Tania, we'd love to hear how the Protexin works if you try it. :xfngr:

Claire, what kind of bran? Oat? Wheat?

Cathy , I used wheat bran bought in the local health food store.

Breakfast : dried kibble with a teaspoon of natural yoghurt and a teaspoon of bran....... all mixed together.

Oliver has scooted almost every day of his life and we got him when he was 10 weeks old. He has his anal glands emptied regularly but will scoot even the same day they are done! I have tried pure wheat bran on his food and noticed no difference. Could he just like the way it feels to scoot?

I've never yet had a Cavvie which didn't need anal glands emptying regularly. Changing food can sometimes help a little, but, in my experience, only to prolong the period between visits to the vet from about 8 weeks to 10 (or 12 at the most).

The consequences of an anal abscess are just so ghastly that I don't think it's worth the risk, personally.

I've never yet had a Cavvie which didn't need anal glands emptying regularly. Changing food can sometimes help a little, but, in my experience, only to prolong the period between visits to the vet from about 8 weeks to 10 (or 12 at the most).

The consequences of an anal abscess are just so ghastly that I don't think it's worth the risk, personally.

We currently go every four to five weeks ! I am paranoid he might get another infection or an abscess!
I thought perhaps maybe changing his diet might improve the situation.

I've been using it for so long now, that I can't really remember how often I used to take mine before I changed to Burns food, but it was probably about every 6 weeks, so it's definitely worth a try.

Have you ever tried to empty the anal glands yourself? My vet showed me once - NEVER again!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Back