• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and Tortoises?

*Pauline*

I received an email from a friend today saying,

"My friend who runs a wildlife rescue centre, has been notified that a batch of baby tortoises need to be re-homed."

I've always wanted one but don't really know anything about them other than I am mesmerized by their slowness and think they are cute! These will be babies and need to be indoors while young.

How would Dylan get on with him/her?

Do some varieties bite?

Do all varieties bite?!

I have a lot of questions. Any replies would be helpful.

My friends bought a baby tortoise (Bingo) about 18 months ago. There is more to it than you think. They asked me to look after Bingo for a week, I thought no problem!. Bingo was a lively little chap, he spent his whole week trying to break out of his pen and Molly and Dougall spent the whole week trying to break in. Dougall thought it was a cornish pastie on legs! When I let Bingo into the garden I had to be there to guard him ( he could leg it accross the garden quite quickly) in case a crow spotted it ! I think Bingo was lonely as he responded when you talked to him and craved company. Babies have to be kept warm through the winter but apparently do not hibernate as they are too small and have to feed. I know my friends are now considering getting a friend for Bingo, I will be happy to ask them if you would like me to. I have to say, trying to keep Bingo safe was quite stressful! Guess what my friends bought Dougall for Christmas!

4392245773_45de32cdc6.jpg

:lol: I love that photo. A pasty on legs...yes I could see that as a problem. Thanks for the warning. :)

A friend of mine had two baby tortoises and yes they were extremely hard work - special diet, they were in a heated incubator etc etc.

Another friend had a tortoise who was at least 25 years old, the Cavaliers just got used to him and happily co-existed. They need to be introduced carefully

You also need to plan long term as they live a very long time.

This might be helpful http://www.britishtortoisesociety.com/

OMGoodness Tania, I enjoyed your story and the photo of Dougall with his 'cornish pasty on legs'. Too cute! :lol:

Tania,

I love that pic of Dougall.....:p

Dont know anything about tortoises Pauline sorry.
Mel

Pediatricians in the US have told parents not to let their kids own or play with reptiles - tortoises would be in that category - since they may carry salmomella. Since you don't have little kids, I guess you would just have to be diligent i washing your hands after playing with/caring for the tortoise. Good luck whatever you decide. I for one, will stick to furry cavaliers who can sit in my lap.

Back