• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crufts ...syringomyelia consultation

Bet

In this week's DOG WORLD, mention made about ,that on the Saturday, Consultations will be offered within the Kennel Club Health Zone in Hall 3 ,on the Proposed British Veterinary Association /KC Scheme for Syringomyelia/.Chiari -like Malformation.

The KC Scientific Advisor , Dr Jeff Sampson will be present in the Health Zone for most of the Show ,Dr Ruth Dennis ,a Vererinary Radiologist at the AHT,will be there on Saturday specfically to engage in the Consultation that the KC is offering .

It is meant to offer an opportunity for Owners and Breeders to come and ask Questions about the Condition and the Screening Process as well as how the Proposed Scheme is going to Operate .

The Breeds Specifically invited are CAVALIERS, GRIFFONS, and KING CHARLES SPANIELS,although any-one is welcome to come to the Zone with their Questions.

For us Folk who will not be at CRUFTS, maybe somebody on the List who will be ,will let us know what has been said.

Bet

Crufts.... Syringomyelia Consultation.

Should have said in my previous Post,that I do hope it will be being explained to the Prospective Cavalier Puppy Buyers, and the other Breeds mentioned,how important it is to ask the Breeders if their Cavalier Breeding Stock has been MRI Scanned to make sure that there is no SM in their Breeding Stock.

I really do feel that this is so necessary for the Cavalier Pet Buyers to be told about ,and that if this has not been done by the Cavalier Breeder ,then the Cavalier Puppy Buyer should go to a Cavalier Breeder who has MRI Scanned their Breeding Stock. and show the Proof that this has been carried out.

I have noticed that there is mention about the World Wide Cavalier Walk to be held in June, this is to Raise the Profile of the Cavalier Breed, and get Money to Help with the Cavalier Research into their Health Problems, .

What better way can this be done ,than next Saturday at Crufts ,making the Prospective Cavalier Pet buying Public ,aware about the Cavaliers' SM Health Problem ,and how the Cavalier Buying Public can help,by only buying from a Cavalier Breeder who has done this check.

Bet

Is this just another attempted by the KC to be seen to do the right thing?
Sorry but I am critical of the KC as they have turned a blind eye for far too long.

No, they have started the process of setting up a British Veterinary Assoc/KC scheme for MRI scanning - on the lines of the hips and eyes schemes for other breeds. The results of scans will then be published by the KC and recorded on the dog's registration papers. The KC want people to come and discuss this scheme at Crufts, so that it will genuinely meet the needs of the breed. Once it is set up, we then have to persuade the KC to refuse to register puppies unless both parents have been scanned under this scheme! That's going to be the really tough one...

We went to the Cavalier Club Ch show today for my boys to have their annual heart check. There were a lot of dogs having their hearts tested - many of them, like my two, entered Not For Competition, so brought to the show just for the heart check, which was encouraging. They were handing out leaflets encouraging people to send in their MRI results and DNA swabs. Also picked up my Year Book and at a quick glance, quite a lot more people are saying their dogs have been MRI scanned - my impression is that slowly, slowly, scanning is becoming the 'done thing', a sign of being a conscientious breeder. (Nice picture of Margaret with her four Cavaliers, too!)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

No, they have started the process of setting up a British Veterinary Assoc/KC scheme for MRI scanning - on the lines of the hips and eyes schemes for other breeds. The results of scans will then be published by the KC and recorded on the dog's registration papers. The KC want people to come and discuss this scheme at Crufts, so that it will genuinely meet the needs of the breed. Once it is set up, we then have to persuade the KC to refuse to register puppies unless both parents have been scanned under this scheme! That's going to be the really tough one...

We went to the Cavalier Club Ch show today for my boys to have their annual heart check. There were a lot of dogs having their hearts tested - many of them, like my two, entered Not For Competition, so brought to the show just for the heart check, which was encouraging. They were handing out leaflets encouraging people to send in their MRI results and DNA swabs. Also picked up my Year Book and at a quick glance, quite a lot more people are saying their dogs have been MRI scanned - my impression is that slowly, slowly, scanning is becoming the 'done thing', a sign of being a conscientious breeder. (Nice picture of Margaret with her four Cavaliers, too!)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate
So under the KC Scheme the MRI Scan results will show on the dogs registration papers like the eye testing shows on their registration papers now? Does that mean if you join the KC Scheme you have to show the results on the registration paper or will you have a choice?
That be a very good thing, it be even better if the heart test results would also show on the registration papers.

Not sure about the nitty gritty of how the scheme would work - this is presumably the sort of thing you can ask about at the Crufts consultation.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I didn't really want to go to Crufts but I am going to find out what they have to say for themselves.

I didn't really want to go to Crufts but I am going to find out what they have to say for themselves.

I think that's great Tania. If everyone who feels strongly about this takes the trouble to turn up to ask questions and express their views, then surely the KC will be able to understand and hopefully take on board exactly how people feel.

I see one problem with refusing registrations of pups from unscanned parents though - surely the other registries that have been set up will take much needed money away from the KC. When thinking of fees for registrations and other KC facilities we should not forget that a percentage goes to the KC's Charitable Trust, which I believe is promoting research into disease and defect.

Despite what some people may think, nothing in the world of pedigree dogs is either all black or all white.

If you want to know what it would be like if alternative registries really took a hold you need look no farther than the United States, where several of them run for the benefit of the puppy farmers hoodwink the buying public into thinking they are purchasing a healthy pedigree dog.

I think that's great Tania. If everyone who feels strongly about this takes the trouble to turn up to ask questions and express their views, then surely the KC will be able to understand and hopefully take on board exactly how people feel.
If the KC and Breed Clubs really wants to understand and take on board exactly how people feel then maybe they could start sending out survey questionnaires to the owners of the dogs.

In Australia here are examples of 2 breeds that were added to the list where health testing is a mandatory requirement for registering litters/pups.

Flat Coated Retriever
Regarding Glaucoma, Hip Dysplasia and Elbow Dysplasia
Implementation date 1 March 2009
See announcement at this link address.
http://www.ankc.org.au/News.aspx?id=182

Border Collie
Regarding Ceroid Lipofusinosis, Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome, Collie Eye Anomaly.
Effective from 1 January 2011
See announcement at this link address.
http://www.ankc.org.au/News.aspx?id=197

Example - here is the questionnaire that was sent out to owners of Border Collies, note at the bottom the response section and to return it, download file is in PDF format.
http://www.ankc.org.au/media/scripts/doc_download.aspx?did=260

Back