• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Todd, I am sorry

Another night of none sleep over with. I have come to work to get away and try and catch back up, but it is not working. Where ever I go, I want to be somewhere else. Where I really want to be is this time last week, lifting Todd onto the end of my bed and having one of our play fight / bed cuddles, but it aint going to happen !! I could smell him in my car this morning, never noticed it before.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been in your shoes so I know the feelings all too well.
You keep going over and over it all in your head, wondering if you could have done something different, what if I did this , what if I did that, what if I hadn't of done that ............... and on and on and on........... until it drives you nuts.

Truth is; you did everything that you possibly could........... you did your best and that's all anyone can ever do. The overwhelming pain that you have right now is the price that is required when you love and are loved in return by a pet member of your family.

I found that taking Bach's rescue sleep remedy helped me to get some sleep. Perhaps you might try it?

I really wish that I could give you the "Magic Cure" to stop the heartache and longing because I know how hard it is trying to cope BUT you will get through this and we are all here for you :hug:

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been in your shoes so I know the feelings all too well.
You keep going over and over it all in your head, wondering if you could have done something different, what if I did this , what if I did that, what if I hadn't of done that ............... and on and on and on........... until it drives you nuts.

Truth is; you did everything that you possibly could........... you did your best and that's all anyone can ever do. The overwhelming pain that you have right now is the price that is required when you love and are loved in return by a pet member of your family.

Claire, that's how I felt (and sometimes still feel) with Charlie. You've stated it well. That is the price love requires, and no matter how painful a loss is, it doesn't come close to cancelling out all the love we had, have, and will have with our pets. It makes us stronger. It makes us appreciate what we have even more, because we know what it is to lose it someday.

Gentess1, would it help to watch a sad video and cry it out of your system? That has worked for me.

Added: I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, in the words of the song, I think I am 'all cried out'. I am trying not to push it, but I need to try and get back to work properly, my business has really suffered. But I would give it all up just to have one more ' bed cuddle'. Thanks for all your help.

How would I make a donation in the memory of Todd to the Rupert fund?

That's so kind and generous of you. :flwr:

First, you might want to take your time, since you might still be in shock over this. :(

Once you've got your bearings, you could start your own thread in the Rupert's Fund forum, entitled "In Memory of Todd". Please feel free to post as many photos of him as you'd like. If you'd like us to lock the thread after you're finished, we will; or we could leave it open for others to post on. For your donation, you could either send a check, since you're in UK, or use PayPal; Karlin has posted instructions on how to donate in the Rupert's Fund forum. I will find the link for you.

Added: Here is the link: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/...ions-make-for-big-achievements!-How-to-donate

That's so sweet of you to think of doing this. You've helped me too, in your grief; now I'm thinking of doing the same for Charlie's memory.

Last edited:
Another poem for you and for your good idea

I too am so upset to hear about little Todd and my heart grieves for you, Gentess.

But you have had a wonderful idea for Rupert's Fund, which is, after all, named after another much-loved Cavalier. If all of us who have ever lost a Cavvie could just give a little for each one, and perhaps put a photo up on the thread too, just think how that would help the researchers - and ultimately, with a bit of luck, all of us who will go on to have healthier little pals in the future.

RIP, Todd, and healing thoughts to your mum
Heartblowingpoog.gif

A piece of my heart
By Fionna Duncan

A piece of my heart is made of you
A small but vital place
Full of memories of happy times
That nothing could displace

It’s nestled in and settled down
Like a sleepy, winter mole
It's part of me now, flesh and blood
And it's connected to my soul

In time it will be pushed aside
And other parts will swell
With pets and people and places too
That I will love as well

But you will always be with me
So secure and tucked away
I'll know that you are safe in there
And we'll meet again some day

And when my heart begins to fail
Grows old and frail and weak
You'll still be in that special place
Until it gives its final beat

So sorry

Hi, I am so so genuinely sorry for your loss and the awful pain you are feeling. I know it all too well. I really wish that there was something I could do to help make it go away. My heart breaks for you. A non doggy friend of mine told me it was time I started to get over my little happy harry ( he is gone a year the end of the month, and was only 2 as well)....she didnt bring it up again!!!

Thinking of you at this very difficult and heartbreaking time. The rescue remedy as mentioned helps...at least it will help keep you focused at work...

I dont know what else to say..but I cried for you as I know how hard it is....

Goodluck and be strong...I'll say a wee prayer for you and of course little furbaby who has sadly been given his wings:( x

Thanks for the touching post Davey. Today is going to be particularly hard as it a week since it happened. It is almost exactly the time that I took him for a little walk to destract him whilst the other dogs were being fed. Then we had a 90 minute drive with him, he loved the car, and was alwasy excellent in there, I still remember giving him a few longing strokes as we drove. I am not looking forward to this afternoon. I have the times that the vet rang me scorched in my head.
Sleep tight my little boy xx

To all you kind support people, I have recieved the call from the vets, Todd's remains are ready to collect. I am going to get off work early and travel up to get him. Not looking forward to the journey, but I need to get him to know he is safe, and to bring a bit of closure ( thats what they say on tv ). It has taken too long to get him back.

I'm thinking of you Steve :hug: I know this will be a hard day for you but this is hopefully the last hard thing you have to do apart from get used to Todd not being around, gradually, day by day you will feel a tiny bit better. It all takes a long time. :(

I'll be thinking of you on your journey.:hug: I hope you can start to feel better once you have done this final thing for him and brought him back home.

I have 3 of my own dogs (and 3 of friends) buried in our field. I say hello to them every day as we pass their graves and generally find it a great comfort to have them there, still with us.

Thinking of your sad journey today and hoping you will be comforted too.

Sympathycard02.gif

I'm so sorry - there is just such a dreadful raw pain, but in time it does get easier and eventually you will remember the happy times.

I think you will feel better once you have Todd's remains at home - perhaps you can set them up somewhere, maybe with a photo of him, his collar and his favourite toy?

We have a cabinet with our dogs boxes and urns, the wooden boxes are like photo frames with the ashes behind them. We still "talk" to them, and also have a wall of Black and white photos - a memorial wall. I know some do not like to have reminders of their dogs about them - other people like us have memorial walls and find it a huge comfort to still have their beloved ones in their lives. It's a personal decision.

You will go through a grieveing process - sadly that's the really tough part of loving them so much, they break your hearts when they leave you :(:( Every person grieves differently, and we all handle it differently - people will say to you that he was "Only a dog" - but all you can feel is pity for them that they have never enjoyed the bond we know.

Thank you SO much for honouring Todd's memory by donating to Rupert's Fund - it was such a lovely idea and a wonderful way to remember those we love by helping our beloved breed.

Thanks again, we are back now. It was like going to the dentist/driving test / exams etc all rolled into one. I managed to hold it together as the vets reception was full. I have to say that I was totally underwhelmed by the process. My devoted loved one, handed over in a plastic carrier bag, cardboard box with a computer printed 'ID' label on. The urn is nice enough, maybe I was expecting too much in my mass state of emotion.
I don't want to say I can put this all behind me now, because I never want to. He is sat in front of his picture in the front room right now, Rest In Peace my beautiful friend, hopefully we will meet ahain one day xx

I am so sorry for your loss. It is especially hard to lose a dog who is young when you ha every hope of creating so many more memories together. :( Cathy's poem from Nicki is a lovely reminder that his memory is also very close and will always be there with you; I hope it might help ease a little of the pain at this difficult time.

Oh goodness -- that was a rather cold way to receive his remains, I have just read your post above. I am sure you must have felt much better once you had him home and in a respected place. :flwr:

I have just had a text from my wife ( I am at work ), she has just received in the post Todds harness. The vets said they could not find it when we picked him up, this upset us. Then out of the blue it came in the post. Thankfully it still had some of his hair and smell on it, upset my wife ( and it will me when I get home ), but it is nice to have something personal of his again. Apparently little Megan went loopy when she smelt it ( in a nice way ). I am glad we have this last piece of the jigsaw home, my wife has been struggling, hearing him, dreaming of his little bark and general other thoughts. I KNOW he is with us, just so hard not been able to cuddlle him xxx sleep tight son xxx

Back