• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Todd, I am sorry

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your beloved Todd. He will live on in your heart and memories forever. :flwr:

Just a note to all who have help and passed on messages. It is 2 weeks to the day since our little Toddy passed on. It is becoming slightly easier, still have baad times and tears, but we are starting to be able talk positively about his short stay with us. We still leave his pillow on the bedroom floor, and the light on for him. Love you

Today is a bad day on the road to recovery. I am trying to hold it together for my daugthers sake. It is her 20th birthday, but with that is the family visits from family that I don't see that often. My nephews love coming because of the big back garden and the dogs, but I know that Todd was there favourite because he was sooo playful , energetic and fun. I am not looking forward to having to explain his body is no more. I know children are stronger than we think, but I don't know if I am strong enough yet to tell them. Hopefully I will bumble through some how.

Today is a bad day on the road to recovery. I am trying to hold it together for my daugthers sake. It is her 20th birthday, but with that is the family visits from family that I don't see that often. My nephews love coming because of the big back garden and the dogs, but I know that Todd was there favourite because he was sooo playful , energetic and fun. I am not looking forward to having to explain his body is no more. I know children are stronger than we think, but I don't know if I am strong enough yet to tell them. Hopefully I will bumble through some how.

I felt the same when i recently lost my molly , i didnt want to see anyone and talk about her as i knew i would just crack, all my little nieces and nephews would love coming to see molly (she wasnt as happy about it though ) and i hated having to say she was gone . When the time arose though in a weird kind of way it helped me talking about her to everyone , it helped talking about her and how wonderful she was , so be brave and im sure it will be ok , stay strong for your little Todd.

I'm so sorry, I know today will be tough for you - however even though it upset me a bit at the time, I found talking about the loss really helped.

I know when friends have lost relatives close to them, even life partners, they've said the same - it made it worse and was embarrassing for them and the person talking to them if they just skirted around it.

Children are actually more resilient than we think and this is how they learn to deal with loss and grief to prepare them for life...

Perhaps you could get out photographs of Todd and talk about the times he made you all happy, that it's very sad that he is no longer with you, but he was sore and he would not want to play anymore, and you are sure they would not want him to be unhappy...

Will be thinking of you today.

Hi Steve. Maybe you could phone before they come to break the news and be less under pressure when they arrive. :hug:

Fortunately or unfortunately, depends how you look at it, my sister came on her own, I was releaved and sad. she was geniunely sorry, and she didn't want to have to take the bad news home with her. She is the first person to notice the subdued atmosphere in the house, even with the other 3, which was good and bad also. I just feel so fragile, my coping skils and confidence are all shot. I am a 40 year old company director, and I am in pieces. I got a letter ( bill ) off the vets which was hard. It was an itemised bill for his last course of treatment, such a big bill for such a little beauty. It said I still owed £1700 which I knew wasn't true, I called them , they were polite and apologised, the copy was from their accounts people, the remainding amount had been 'wiped off'. This makes me feel like I treated Todd on the cheap, and if the cost had been higher it might have still been here. Sorry again for using this forum as my sounding board, I would have thought 23 days on I would be improving but I seem to be going back over as I see people getting on with their normal lives.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depends how you look at it, my sister came on her own, I was releaved and sad. she was geniunely sorry, and she didn't want to have to take the bad news home with her. She is the first person to notice the subdued atmosphere in the house, even with the other 3, which was good and bad also. I just feel so fragile, my coping skils and confidence are all shot. I am a 40 year old company director, and I am in pieces. I got a letter ( bill ) off the vets which was hard. It was an itemised bill for his last course of treatment, such a big bill for such a little beauty. It said I still owed £1700 which I knew wasn't true, I called them , they were polite and apologised, the copy was from their accounts people, the remainding amount had been 'wiped off'. This makes me feel like I treated Todd on the cheap, and if the cost had been higher it might have still been here. Sorry again for using this forum as my sounding board, I would have thought 23 days on I would be improving but I seem to be going back over as I see people getting on with their normal lives.

Dont be sorry for anything , im a man of 33years of age who couldnt remember the last time i shed a tear , but when i lost Molly in January i have cried virtually every day , everyone takes a different amount of time to deal with their loss and there is no right or wrong . Cavaliers touch our lives and Todd touched yours like Molly touched mine , they were our soul dogs, Stay strong but keep the memories alive .

Oh guys now you've got me in tears too - these wee ones just get right into your soul :(:( They are just so very special and become a part of you.

It took me a year to really come to terms with losing my old boy - Rupert at 12 1/2, he had been such a huge part of our lives. I dreaded the thought of life without him, and really didn't know how to face it - but each day comes and goes, sometimes {to start with, most of the time} there are very sad days, but eventually you start to adjust, that dreadful raw pain eases and we can now, 16 months on, remember the happy times and laugh at all the naughty things he used to do!!

We have lost 6 Cavaliers now - and it NEVER gets any easier. Some insenstive soul said to us when we lost one aged 5, "what's the matter with you, you've got the other two?" - I so hope they never said that to peple who'd lost children as well...

But they are all individuals, and all very, very special - having had a few dogs now and also fostered quite a few, there are always the ones you develop a very strong bond with, and others whom you love but maybe not quite so deeply. The special ones are really hard to deal with when you lose them.

It must be even harder to lose an only dog - at least we still have the routine and someone to cuddle and keep going for...

Steve it was bad of your vets to make that mistake, and please don't feel if you'd spent more Todd would have survived - you did everything you could.

We are all here to support each other and it's good that we have somewhere to come and "talk" - we think of the forum as Karlin's sitting room, so we are all sitting round with a cup of coffee and "chatting" - but in a way that maybe we couldn't do if we actually met in person.

I don't think I've posted this before but it might help you to understand that most of us feel how you do...I made myself {and maybe the Universe, I no longer have any faith sadly} a bit of a bargain that if I gave up chocolate then Rupert would live. That was so hard for me as I was completely addicted to chocolate and did eat a lot - probalby as hard as someone else giving up smoking.

I did manage it - Rupert was more important - but of course it didn't work, it was Rupert's time to go, there was too much wrong in his wee body. I think Todd was the same, he was in pain and that's not fair.

{Strangely I have now had to give up chocolate due to stomach problems, it is a trigger for them.}

Stay strong but keep the memories alive .

Molski you are so right...

Thinking of you both.

I'm so sorry for the loss of Todd. I know too well now how you are feeling. I am on day 6 and sometimes I almost forget it happened and then it comes crashing back. I have been talking about Prince a lot with my OH and that helps. My brother and his wife are the dog lovers in my family and they have been very good to me.
We have not yet gotten Prince's remains back but when we do we are hoping to to have some sort of little memorial for him. I think this will help my OH a lot as he is away with work.

Take care of yourself, its a huge loss xx

I am sitting here reading your posts and crying my eyes out for your loss, it is sooooo hard when we loose the ones we love. I had 2 Cavalier's Zoe & Georgia, unfortunately I have lost them and I miss them each & every day (May will be a year since my last cuddle with them). There are days when it is easier and days when I can actually feel my heart break all over again :( I hope that in time you can deal with this loss, Todd is looking down on you & in true Cavalier style is waiting on that bed in heaven for you for the cuddles you shared, until then he is getting cuddled by all the dog lovers up there and is in peace cavtiny

I am soooooooo sorry for your loss of Todd. I understand the pain of losing a dog. We're all here for you and we all understand your pain. Hugs to you.

6 months to the day since our beautiful boy was chosen. It is taking forever to type this, as the hurt floods back into my eyes. I visit him every day, and obviously miss him like crazy. Just thought I would post this just try and relieve some of the grief

The anniversaries are so hard :cry*ing:

I hope it's helped coming back here though.

:flwr::flwr:

I'm so sorry. I just can't imagine your pain. I'm glad you came back in here though to share your feelings. Hoping you feel some measure of comfort from our words.

Back