• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kizzy had her MRI today...

Kizzys Mum

She has been diagnosed with CM, but not SM. The vet informed us that no further treatment would be necessary, as he said that there was plenty of room in her skull. I'm a bit disappointed and confused as I always thought our vets were quite up to date on SM/CM (they held an information evening about it and our vet has always seemed knowledgable); but today was told that "CM doesn't cause pain"??? and surely, if she has CM, that would mean there WASN'T enough room in her skull?
Although I wouldn't say Kizzy has extreme symptoms, she has enough for me to be concerned - she sometimes yelps for no reason, she licks her lips, she sometimes stares, etc. Am I right in thinking that I should obtain and show her scan to a neurologist for a second opinion (she was scanned at our vets by a visiting MRI scanner)? I hate to think that she could be in pain when I could be helping her :(

Last edited:
As far as I can gather, the presence of CM will only cause problems when it causes the flow of cerebral-spinal fluid to slow down and accumulate within the brain, which then causes herniation, dilated ventricles and can lead to the formation of syrinxes. So you can have CM without SM, but normally not SM without CM - if you follow me! But if you're worried, why don't you send your scan to Clare Rusbridge for assessment - I think she charges £35. It does need to be seen by a neurologist to be properly interpreted.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I would definitely have Kizzy's scan read by a neurologist familiar with SM. My dogs' neurologist has given me numerous discs of my their MRIs (I have 3 who have had an MRI). Before Riley had her decompression surgery I took it to another neurologist who was also familiar with SM. So, I would recommend either sending it to Clare or getting another opinion by a certified neurologist. From my understanding, CM by itself can cause symptoms and pain in some dogs, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with your vet's interpretation. Like Kate said, a neurologist can properly interpret the scan, make a diagnosis, and advise about treatment.

Am I right in thinking that I should obtain and show her scan to a neurologist for a second opinion (she was scanned at our vets by a visiting MRI scanner)? I hate to think that she could be in pain when I could be helping her :(

Absolutely. Goodness you must be feeling quite disappointed, I know I would be. It can be so frustrating knowing more than your vet. I am wondering how much you paid for a scan without a proper neurologist reading it. I would have thought the person giving the scan would have been able to do that :confused:

I know Clare Rusbridge reads scans, I think she charges £30. Karlin mentioned it recently.

We had the same diagnosis for Leo last year....CM but no SM.
I felt the same as you and Leo was seen by a neurologist who went through his scan with me. He said no treatment needed unless Leo showed the pain again. He had a severe yelling session after rubbing his head frantically on the floor following a bath.
He hasnt done it since:xfngr:
But I often wonder if I should do more, although at present he seems fine.....but I do watch him like a hawk.
I'd be interested as to what you do next.

Mel

Thanks for the replies. Sins - it says you need to submit KC registration info - is that essential? As Kizzy is a rescue (of dubious heritage!) we don't have that. I'm not entirely sure who analysed the scan, but it came up on the bill at about £8.
The vet said that the CM wouldn't be causing her problems now and shouldn't in the future :confused: Not sure how or if it's even possible to tell that. He said her leg chewing/other symptoms could be allergies...

Thanks for the replies. Sins - it says you need to submit KC registration info - is that essential? As Kizzy is a rescue (of dubious heritage!) we don't have that. I'm not entirely sure who analysed the scan, but it came up on the bill at about £8.
The vet said that the CM wouldn't be causing her problems now and shouldn't in the future :confused: Not sure how or if it's even possible to tell that. He said her leg chewing/other symptoms could be allergies...

The KC information is useful for the research, but any dog of any breed, or of unknown breeding, could have their scans read.

It is thought CM can sometimes cause pain symptoms, but it is also recognised that many SM symptoms can also be caused by other things.
Did your vet say if Kizzy had any PSOM ( Gunk in her ears )?

Back