• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Goodbye Ears.

*Pauline*

The day finally came when Dylan's ears had to be cut short. They looked awful because of SM scratching. Yesterday he got his back foot caught in his ear feathers three times in an hour while scratching, they had to go.

It's quite hard to trim ears as the layers underneath needed to be slightly shorter or they would stick out and make it look very uneven.

This is him on the one warm day we had last week. He likes to sleep in the garden while I do the weeding. Not the worst pic of his ears but you see the tangles.
4420468263_196735dde0_b.jpg

And here, the gaps in his feathers.
4350024286_1c512cc719_b.jpg

And now...I was shocked I did it at first but now I like it. They look healthier and fuller.
4423861157_400a3df34c_b.jpg

4423860313_4019bfe4e0_b.jpg

I'm always a bit disappointed when people on the forum trim their Cavaliers so I don't expect you to like the new look but at least he's is more comfortable now and they are easier to brush as he hated that.

He looks lovely. Our Ben's hair grows at a terrific rate, and he too can catch his paws in his ears, which can be stressfull even without any other underlying problems. I bet it is a relief for Dylan, especially as the weather is finally starting to turn ( jinxed it now ). We are for ever trying to keep on top of our's ears, it is probably their most common complaint.

He looks beautiful always. I keep Loki's & Rumus cut. Loki because his looks like Dylan's in the 2nd picture & Remus because his grow so long that he trips over them while playing in the yard. :)

Aww I think Dylan looks as lovely as ever, with those gorgeous huge eyes and his lovely trimmed ears he is a proper stunner. You did a good job and his comfort is the most important thing :)

There was a valid medical reason for trimming the ears Pauline so you were quite right to trim them up.
He could injure himself if he kept getting his paw stuck in the matts.Imagine him tumbling off a couch or bed with his paw stuck in a matt.
We shaved out the matts at the back of Daisy's ears, as that's where she sctatches and it prevents the tangles but still allows her the look of long ears.
You have to do what's best for the dog.
For the record he's still a very good looking boy.
Sins

Personally I think you did a really good job there.......maybe a future career as a Dog groomer huh?
You know I trim Leo and the ears are always a must as he hates them being brushed as as Sins said it's whats best for the dog. Dylan doesnt look too traumatised.....just as hansome as ever;)

Ah bless him - he looks fine Pauline, better than having an accident :eek:

Ears are always difficult to manage with SM :(

ear ear

Pauline harley does the same, he gets his claws caught in the tangles in his ears, so we keep them as long as is practical, i think he looks great, imagine if you can home from shopping and he had been caught like that for hours, or he could rip his claws. di

Dylan looks great with his new shorter look. I know our Abigail has a fit when I either comb or cut out her tangles in her ears. Also when it's wet outside, she comes in with very wet hair on her ears and i have to wait til they're dry before attempting to comb.

I think you are really on to a winning look:)

Heather R

It was with great fear that I opened this thread. I already was aware of the trimming that Dylan was getting. However, I was so relieved to see the photo of him with his new hair cut. You did a great job Pauline; he looks as handsome as ever! :biggrin:

Back