• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Upset stomach

marklewis36

Hi, this is my first post and I'm looking for some advice on a problem we seem to have with our 2 year King Charles Cavalier, Pebbles. Every 3-4 weeks she starts eating grass, has a rumling stomach and seems to be off her food. This seems to be a cyclic event now. She does have a fondness for paper tissues, socks etc. We have tried to make sure nothing like this is easily accessible but she seems to find something to chew on...! Is this something that other owners have come across, does the breed tend to have a sensitive stomach..? any advice would be welcome.

Leo often eats grass....I posted here once about it and was told it's because cavaliers are closely related to cows:badgrin:

Most people said they felt the grass did settle upset tummy's. If you're worried maybe ring your vet and ask for advice.

Mel

I've always heard that grass helps them vomit. Either way, your dog is probably getting into something. Since we have our Sophie (15 mos. old) our floors stay picked up (you could safely let a toddler run loose in here) because she eats all sorts of stuff on the floor, and ground outdoors.

Ruby eats grass from time to time she's then sick and then back to normal! She does have a sensitive tummy/colitis which was triggered when I gave her sardines (which she'd had before and was fine) I now only give her things I know she's ok with and fingers crossed only had it once more.Hope everything works out ok for you.
ps Ruby is forever pinching tissues too then sits on them when I'm trying to find the bits!

Ruby eats grass from time to time she's then sick and then back to normal! She does have a sensitive tummy/colitis which was triggered when I gave her sardines (which she'd had before and was fine) I now only give her things I know she's ok with and fingers crossed only had it once more.Hope everything works out ok for you.
ps Ruby is forever pinching tissues too then sits on them when I'm trying to find the bits!

Yes that sounds like the same sort of cycle of events we are having with Pebbles. She's fine in herself but as it's the 1st Cav we've had we were not sure if it was normal or not. Sounds as though from other posts on here that grass eating, vomiting and then back to normal sounds quite common.

Many thanks.

Grass eating is pretty common in dogs for all sorts of reasons -- mainly just liking to eat grass (all mine do this! :lol:) but some def. will eat when they have a tummy upset too.

I don't think they have a higher tendency towards stomach upsets but there are some medical conditions that can cause recurrent problems.

the first thing I'd do is consider changing her diet and be sure to give something of very good quality (eg no supermarket foods) without additives or colouring, and with a less common protein source. As you are in the UK, I'd suggest trying her on James Wellbeloved, Burns or Robbie's, as all these foods are in part designed for dogs with food sensitivities.

Def avoid supermarket tinned food, dry food, or any fatty table food scraps.

Socks or anything that can block or wind around intestines are dangerous as they can easily be lethal. So you are right to work to keep those away from her! (y) Tissues I doubt will bother her much. :) Sounds like a change in diet would be helpful.

Grass eating is pretty common in dogs for all sorts of reasons -- mainly just liking to eat grass (all mine do this! :lol:) but some def. will eat when they have a tummy upset too.

I don't think they have a higher tendency towards stomach upsets but there are some medical conditions that can cause recurrent problems.

the first thing I'd do is consider changing her diet and be sure to give something of very good quality (eg no supermarket foods) without additives or colouring, and with a less common protein source. As you are in the UK, I'd suggest trying her on James Wellbeloved, Burns or Robbie's, as all these foods are in part designed for dogs with food sensitivities.

Def avoid supermarket tinned food, dry food, or any fatty table food scraps.

Socks or anything that can block or wind around intestines are dangerous as they can easily be lethal. So you are right to work to keep those away from her! (y) Tissues I doubt will bother her much. :) Sounds like a change in diet would be helpful.

We currently feed her Eukanuba for cavaliers. Have tried Burns in past but she wasn't too keen on it.

agree with Karlin on the food,we give James Wellbeloved (she only likes the turkey and rice though) but it's a really good food and even when she had a really bad bout of colitis the vet asked what we fed her on and said not to change her from that! If you do change do it gradually increasing the new food slowly over a week or so :)

I'd try something other than Eukanuba, which has a few potential triggers for tummy problems. You want a protein source that isn't chicken or beef, to start; and nothing like 'poultry meal'.

Most dogs will readily take to another food -- try mixing a fourth of the new into the old and gradually increase til the original is replaced, over a week or two.

Also ignore a dog that refuses food -- there's advice under 'finicky eaters' in the Library section. In almost all cases, refusing to eat isn't an issue of liking or disliking a food, but of holding out to see what else will be on offer or because they quickly realise owners start to give lots of extra attention if they don't eat (eg coming over, fussing, hand-feeding, encouragement etc). They are very smart at figuring out they get rewarded if they *don't* eat with extra attention or new foods!

Back