Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad news today

i took Rubes for her jabs this evening & our vet said she has a pronounced heart murmer,she is booked to have xrays on tues to see if her heart is enlarged.
    Any time any vet has listened to her heart before theyve always been surprised at how good her heart is for a cavalier & now suddenly its a pronounced murmerHe said its a recent one but that he could feel it by hand aswell. i was too shocked & upset to ask any questions but i can on tues. im in bits for her,she already has so much to cope with SM,dry eye,colitis & being an ex breeding machine,im not ashamed to admit i sat in the park straight after sobbing with her in my arms.During which time jelly chewed on a stick(which i NEVER let her do normally) 5 mins after we got home she threw that up all over so not the best evening all round
    what should i ask the vet?
    thanks for reading x
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Gis

You tried to phone me and I was getting them all out of the car and when I answered you had gone ,I am so sorry not to be there when you wanted me to be we will have a good talk pls do not get upset but I know you will be just try and stay calm and think only positive if you can I am sure lovely Rubes is not going anywhere for a long long time ,sleep well dear friend we shall speak tomorrow .
    Great big Hugs to you and Rube and Jelly
    from us lot.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't upset yourself too much over this until you see a cardiologist. My Misha has a grad 0-IV heart murmur. The cardiologist indicated that the loudness of the murmur is not always indicative of the progression of MVD. When I first found out, I went to pieces too. I did find out that Misha's MVD is quite mild though despite the sometimes loud murmur. Best of luck with your pup.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck tupup. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the vet seems to think. Its always a shock when we get yet another bad news diagnosis. Its probably nothing too serious, but until you know for sure, I'd say she would benefit from plenty of cuddles, which I bet she is getting now.
    Keep us posted.
    Charli

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I am so sorry, I have sent you an e mail, lots of cuddles and kisses
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dear Tupup.

How frightening for you to have such sudden and unexpected news on a routine vet's visit.

Mishathepooh is right, the loudness of the murmur does not always give a clear indication of the severity of the heart condition.
    Many cavaliers live for many years after a murmur is first detected.

Read up on the subject, so you can understand a little bit about what is happening.
    I'll keep everything crossed for Tuesday
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you cyberhugs, as I know how you feel. Our last dog (not a Cav) was diagnosed with a heart murmur and I thought the world was ending. He lived very well for years on his medication, and finally died of old age, definitely not his heart. Please give Rube and yourself a hug from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Tupup, so sorry to hear of your news of Rubes, please try not to worry too much. I know that when we were told Jasper had a heart murmur when he was about 8 and then last year when he got worse and had to have Xray, ECG and heart scan I was so worried and feared the worse, but with medication he is fine and still enjoys life and pulls and goes on walks, we often say "has someone told him he has a heart problem", please try and enjoy her although I know she has a lot of other health problems to deal with. Good luck for next tuesday and take care.

Post Thanks / Like

No advice to offer but just wanted to say I am thinking of you and hoping things are a bit more positive after the x-rays
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I've also had several ex-breeding Cavvies with varying degrees of heart murmur when they arrived with me and all have lived for many happy years. The latest one was 18 months ago and Victoria is now 9 years old.

My vet (who has Cavaliers of his own) has always recommended treating them in exactly the same way as all the others, until such times as they need a bit more "cotton wool", and I've always done exactly that. Last time I took Victoria for a routine check, I was told that her heart was actually stronger now than when I got her - presumably she hadn't had a lot of exercise at that time, whereas now she walks every day.

So nil desperandum - as others are also telling you, there IS definitely life after diagnosis!!
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge