• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hungry all the time

jenmck

Monty is 14 months old and is constantly hungry - I am feeding him Royail Cain Adult and feed him mid morning and in the evening. I am never quite sure how much I should be giving him. He has a small bowl each time.
He weighs 9/10 Kg and really do not want him to get over weight.

Hi

I feed my Poppy, who is on a permanent diet only 18 gramme of RC Satiety twice a day, but I do add carrots ,green beans ,broccoli ,cauliflower ,apple as a filler and also low cal yogurt ,whitebait one shredded wheat ,spoon of bran and lots of other vitamins and very low calorie items and shes still hungry .:)

Hi

I feed my Poppy, who is on a permanent diet only 18 gramme of RC Satiety twice a day, but I do add carrots ,green beans ,broccoli ,cauliflower ,apple as a filler and also low cal yogurt ,whitebait one shredded wheat ,spoon of bran and lots of other vitamins and very low calorie items and shes still hungry .:)

"Ditto" For treats, I give, dried carrots, sweetcorn, 3 neem sticks per day. If they have extra
treats I reduce their meal.

I think Cavaliers are natural greedy. I think my three would eat until they burst if I would let them so don’t mistake greed for hunger.

Well big dogs can have slow metabolisms and vice versa. There is no 'correct' amount to feed a dog as they all differ in size, weight, build, metabolism. A neutered dog will need about 10-20% fewer alories than an intact dg in many cases but not always. A very active dog will likely handle and need more calories than one that gets little exercise.

Also what is a 'small bowl' in volume? A cup of food? A half cup? Most cavaliers would eat something around a cup of food if rasonably active and fit -- but I have dogs that eat 1/3rd a cup a day. Puppies tend to eat more overall each day than the adult dog will after age one or so. I feed my dogs from small cat-size bowls that hold only a cup of food. larger bowls can seem underfilled and are one of the main causes of overfeeding.

In general you want your dog to have a clear waist when viewed from above and to be able to feel his ribs but not have them bonily sticking out.

This is an excellent guide with pictures from a US breeder.

http://roycroftinformationcenter.com/Roycroft Cavaliers/Roycroft Cavalier Care Feeding new.html

The others are right: you absolutely should NOT judge what to feed on whether a cavalier or any dog seems hungry :lol:. Cavaliers are amongst a handful of breeds that would overeat til they explode -- most are absolute gluttons and you need to carefully manage the amount they need.

Cavaliers are also a breed that can grow fat on just the sniff of a biscuit.

You really do have to harden your heart and feed for the way they look.
If they are well padded with no waist, then they are being given too much.

Rice cakes {human ones!} are also very good - they are filling but very low in calories.

Don't go for the Marmite ones or ones with added salt...

Cavaliers are also a breed that can grow fat on just the sniff of a biscuit.

I think I must be part Cavalier too:lol::lol:

Back