• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry food and storage

The Rouge Princess

We have fed Scarlett JWB since having her.She seems to like most of the flavours, popular choices are Turkey/Rice and Duck/Rice.I'm now considering going for the plunge and buying a big bag but it's storing it that's the problem.

At the moment I have the 2.5kg bag that fills two old Celebrations tubs.I don't have a laundry room or similar - my thoughts were to buy a swing bin and a scoop but it's where to put it.And whether it would be less fresh this way as air can still get in? I moisten it a little for her anyhow but I wouldn't want to loose the goodness of the food.

How do others get around this? Any advice much appreciated :)

Rouge

x

I have a big plastic storage box that I bought in Homebase (or similar). It has a clip on lid that keeps the food fresh in the garage - and the mice away I hope :yikes
Would you have space for something like that? If I used a swing bin and it was in the kitchen, it wouldn't just be mice I'd be worrying about - I think I would probably only ever see Bosco's tail, the rest of him would be in the bin!!

Thanks!

Thanks Charli :thumbs: I have an under-stairs cupboard where I could store something flat, a lot easier.

Well - that's a job for me this Easter weekend :)

x

I keep my 15kg bag in the understairs press in a laundry basket. I just drop the actual bag itself into it:)

If I was to leave it in the kitchen, I would come home to find three very full and sickly dogs and an empty basket:eek:

I use the large clear plastic cake boxes which stack on top of each other. You really need something airtight, especially with only one dog.

Also there is a mite which comes into open food bags and some dogs are allergic to it.

Make sure you are using the food within dates.

The other possibility for storage is the brewing bins used for beer making - they are cheap to buy and airtight.

One on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-LITRE-FERM...mdZViewItemQQptZHome_Brew?hash=item3ca729be7b

If you've very inventive and tight for space, you could cover it with a cloth and use it as a side table or lamp stand!!

I have a big plastic storage box that I bought in Homebase (or similar). It has a clip on lid that keeps the food fresh in the garage - and the mice away I hope :yikes

I have one of these for my dogs food too. They are easy to clean and don't take up any more room than a standard rubbish bin. Most come with their own scoop ;) They are also mice proof (I had the unfortunate experience of mice the first year we moved into our current house and the food bin came out with minor bite marks but nother else). I keep everything dog related in a press in my kitchen - including food bin - so that everything is easy to find!

Definitely keep the food stored airtight. It will stay fresh longer, and it also will not attract insects and mice.

I use the air tight cereal containers for storing kibble, too. It is probably better to use smaller containers than the larger ones, especially when you have one dog and it will take longer to use the food up. Because another concern when storing dry food is keeping the humidity out. Any dampness or moisture could cause mold/fungus to grow in the food, and fungus is very toxic to dogs. If in doubt, it might be safer to just buy the smaller bags.

Many pet shops carry airtight pet food containers. It is much MUCH cheaper to buy large bags of food and store them this way. A swing bin is not adequate storage -- not airtight and kibble could get mold, which can be toxic. It would be better to keep the food in a tightly folded bag rather than put it into a container that is not airtight.

Lots of online shops sell food containers too. (y)

Back