• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harmony, poundie cavalier

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I am very sorry to say that the 12 year old female cavalier that was in the pound had to be pts this morning as she was very ill during the night. Fortunately someone again had intervened enabling this dog to get out, and the dog was at least, not in the pound and suffering but inside a home and fed well. She may well have been surrendered due to illness as the real reason. :mad:

RIP.

That is so sad.
Like you said it would have been nice if she spend her last hours in a warm comfy bed with someone who cared. I don’t know how anybody could give there 12 year old companion to a pound because of health reasons or any reason. I would give my last penny for my dogs.

I don’t know how anybody could give there 12 year old companion to a pound because of health reasons or any reason.

I pray the owner dies alone and distant from home and loved ones. So they too can know the torment and distress they caused this poor dog. Just because they didn't have the courage to give her the last peice of compassion any dog owner can show their pet ..... to be with her when she takes the final journey.

Run free little girl young and fit again. *ng*l

I am so sad to have heard this news today, I actually shed a couple of tears for her, but at least she is out of her pain.
I am constantly baffled by people who can so easily give up a pet after 12 years even if they are sick! To me that is the time to give them the love, care and kindness they deserve; what goes around comes around, karma has a way of making things right!
I have such a heavy heart today for this little girl, but I'm glad she got out for her last night.

You never know the circumstances of someone giving up a dog. Maybe the owner died and a relative couldn't look after the dog. Maybe they were too poor to pay the vet. Sometimes it's the kinder thing to give the dog up.

Poor girl. I'm so glad she was able to spend her last night with some comfort and care. No dog should ever be treated this way. What in the world is wrong with people!

I am told they handed her in stating she had snapped at a child and with detailed info on what to feed her etc. I think they were well aware she was seriously ill and just wanted an excuse. She had lumps all over her body and vet felt she may have been diabetic and had other problems, I am told. So had been neglected for a very long time and was not being given anything for the existing problems she had nor were they mentioned. She got quite ill the day she came out. It may have been added stress from two days in the pound, a bug, etc -- but there's no way they could have thought there was nothing wrong with her. :mad:

Poor little girl...what disgraceful owners.

I hope they never have another dog.

I was in my vets the other day and a poor woman brought her dog in to be pts, she was so upset and I was upset for her and also about how I would cope when the time comes to part with any of mine which I hope is a long, long time away.

How could anyone part with a dog in this way:mad: I hope they get their just reward.

At best, I think the owners were very ignorant. :| It is true that you need to keep an open mind as to why any dog is surrendered to the pound -- and that is often a better choice than putting a homeable dog down (some just take healthy dogs they no longer want to the vet to be pts!). And it is a better choice than leaving an animal to suffer, or deliberately straying them. Pounds after all are there as part of the whole welfare picture -- they do keep strays off the streets, do help some dogs to get rehomed, and do humanely pts ill and unwanted and unhomeable dogs. But pounds vary widely.

This particular case is pretty sad as if they didn;t know that dog was ill, they must have been clueless people as well as never taken their dog to a vet. :(

This is just sad beyond belief and heartbreaking on so many levels. That poor little mite should have been given to the first person who was kind enough to offer her a foster/ permanent home THE VERY FIRST DAY!!!

I am at a complete loss as to WHY D.I.D or whoever, did not IMMEDIATELY contact Irish Cavalier Rescue to get this little one the care she needed. Why on earth would anyone working in a pound ignore a rescue that is specifically tailored to meet the needs of this poor little Cavalier

I'm sorry but this just makes me sooo mad. I'd have been there in an instant to take that little dog out.
Shame on those people who left her there :mad::mad::mad:

Not all rescues like to work with other rescues. :| At any rate after many calls, someone did allow her to get out in the end, and she was in a home for her last night. The two most vulnerable dog groups are puppies and elderly dogs, because they don;t tend to have very robust immune systems. Puppies seem to be the priority a lot of the time but I wish in cases like this, that someone would just contact one of the many other rescues who would have helped within hours of her arriving in. It is also a shame they don;t post their dogs beyond their own small board as no one else in the wider rescue community even knows these dogs are there -- two Irish sites will take postings of ALL rescue dogs from ALL pounds and rescues. But that would mean dealing with offers of help from other rescues I guess.

Sadly, this is the reality of doing rescue. It is often not 'about the dogs' but about people and politics.

Hopefully such a situation won't be repeated. Two elderly cavaliers within two weeks in the same pound in the same situation was very sad. Thankfully the fellow out two weeks back is, I am told, doing very well and is very happy in a home with another dog. :)

At least this girl didn't have to suffer. I am not sure her original family would have taken her in to give her her release.

Rest in Pease sweet Harmony

I am shocked and heartbroken to hear that "Harmony" had to be pts I thought she looked great in her photo for a 12 year old. The reason given for her surrender was that she had started to snap at children hard to believe that a cavalier would suddenly after 12 yrs snap at children perhaps the owners should take a closer look at the behaviour of the children! Whatever the reason handing an elderly cav into the pound is cruel and callous and leaving her in the pound when there were offers of foster available is very hard to stomach! Shame on those responsible.
Rest in peace sweet "Harmony".

At best, I think the owners were very ignorant. :| It is true that you need to keep an open mind as to why any dog is surrendered to the pound -- and that is often a better choice than putting a homeable dog down (some just take healthy dogs they no longer want to the vet to be pts!). And it is a better choice than leaving an animal to suffer, or deliberately straying them. Pounds after all are there as part of the whole welfare picture -- they do keep strays off the streets, do help some dogs to get rehomed, and do humanely pts ill and unwanted and unhomeable dogs. But pounds vary widely.

This particular case is pretty sad as if they didn;t know that dog was ill, they must have been clueless people as well as never taken their dog to a vet. :(

I suppose we do have to think that maybe these people just didn't have a clue and if that is the case it is still very sad.

I would much rather people who find themselves in a situation where they have to surender a dog contact a rescue that has a policy of not putting a healthy dog down, as in the pound dogs are on death row most of the time because of the high number of dogs coming into pounds......I know there is a much bigger story to be dealt with all in all:mad:

This is just sad beyond belief and heartbreaking on so many levels. That poor little mite should have been given to the first person who was kind enough to offer her a foster/ permanent home THE VERY FIRST DAY!!!

I am at a complete loss as to WHY D.I.D or whoever, did not IMMEDIATELY contact Irish Cavalier Rescue to get this little one the care she needed. Why on earth would anyone working in a pound ignore a rescue that is specifically tailored to meet the needs of this poor little Cavalier

I'm sorry but this just makes me sooo mad. I'd have been there in an instant to take that little dog out.

I rang the pound & the relevant rescue organisation within an hour of seeing her on their site to offer a foster home that day, but met brick Walls even though I've one of their other dogs at the moment! It is disgusting that she even had to spend one nite there. I don't understand what is going on, I'm new to all this rescue stuff & I'm bewildered at the politics involved! It is almost who you know, not what you can offer to a dog, let's be honest any home willing to give tlc is better than a pound kennel/cage! Why so much red tape? Why brick walls? I know it's not all rescue organisations but I've definately experienced it with one! My goal and aim is to help as many dogs as I can in anyway I can, and that's what I'll continue to do.

RIP Harmony, I never met you, but would've loved to give you a cuddle, sleep tight & I hope you are happy & safe, young and fit, running with your favourite toy & feel the love we a have for you xx

I rang the pound & the relevant rescue organisation within an hour of seeing her on their site to offer a foster home that day, but met brick Walls even though I've one of their other dogs at the moment! It is disgusting that she even had to spend one nite there. I don't understand what is going on, I'm new to all this rescue stuff & I'm bewildered at the politics involved! It is almost who you know, not what you can offer to a dog, let's be honest any home willing to give tlc is better than a pound kennel/cage! Why so much red tape? Why brick walls? I know it's not all rescue organisations but I've definately experienced it with one! My goal and aim is to help as many dogs as I can in anyway I can, and that's what I'll continue to do.

RIP Harmony, I never met you, but would've loved to give you a cuddle, sleep tight & I hope you are happy & safe, young and fit, running with your favourite toy & feel the love we a have for you xx

It's such a shame but you tried your very best for this little girl.

I'd have been there in an instant to take that little dog out.

If she was a surrender to the pound anyone could have just gone straight to the pound and adopted her, there is no need to go through DID as she was not in their care yet...RIP to Harmony and my thoughts are with the DID person holding her while she passed, it is always so tragic even if you only know them a short time :(

I'm new to all this rescue stuff & I'm bewildered at the politics involved! It is almost who you know, not what you can offer to a dog, let's be honest any home willing to give tlc is better than a pound kennel/cage! Why so much red tape? Why brick walls?

Well said!!!

If she was a surrender to the pound anyone could have just gone straight to the pound and adopted her, there is no need to go through DID as she was not in their care yet...RIP to Harmony and my thoughts are with the DID person holding her while she passed, it is always so tragic even if you only know them a short time :(

Laura, my appologies. I took it from earlier posts that DID were the ones preventing her from being released.
I wasn't around at the time and so I can only go by what I read on here. Again, please accept my appologies icon_blshing

It's not that easy to just go to the pound & take the dog home with you, you must fill out an application form, which they then go through & let you know if you can take home a dog, this usually takes a day or so, or if at the weekend it could be Monday or Tuesday before they get backin touch with you. I foster for an organisation linked to this pound & I would've taken her on Thursday if they had let me.

None of us can do anything more for poor Harmony, but we can help other dogs, give them
the love, kindness & care they need & deserve, so that's my aim :)

Back