• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lyrica for SM

Thanks for your responses. I think we will only let him run and play with India every 3 days or so, but maybe I'll try to walk each of them instead of allowing their roughhousing.

He was sleepy today, but he seems more comfortable. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw: Fingers and paws are crossed for good results. He's definitely interested in what's going on when he's awake - he was just up on the love seat looking out the window.:)

Update on Lyrica Dosage

It has been several months now, and Geordie had been doing ok on the 25 mg Lyrica every 8 hours, having mostly good days and some bad days where I had to give him Metacam in addition to the Lyrica.

In August I was giving him Metacam more often than not, and even with that he was still curving his body and scratching his neck/shoulder. We contacted his neurologists at Ohio State University; they let us give Geordie a double dose of Lyrica that night, and we got an emergency appointment for the following day. He was given a full exam, and found to be stable neurologically, even though his syrinxes are severe.

There was some discussion about putting him on a short course of prednisone, but it could not be started until the Metacam was totally withdrawn for a week. Since he had done so well with the 50mg dose of Lyrica the night before (I woke up to check him all night) and during that day, he was allowed to continue on it following a blood panel that shows he's in normal ranges for all the tests. We were told to try giving him 50 mg every 12 hours, or every 8 hours if he seemed to need it.

What we've found is that 50 mg Lyrica every 12 hours is what works best for him (he weighs about 18 lbs). He is playing every day now, and snuggling up with me in my big chair in the evenings. He had another follow-up appointment in early September, and we decided not to give him Prednisone since he is doing so well, and because he had a gatrointestinal upset last time he had it in the past.

There isn't very much information available about Lyrica dosage for dogs, so I'm hoping this information will be helpful to someone. I was most fortunate to have information about Lyrica dosage from Terri and her little cavalier Friday to share with our neurologists. :thnku: Terri!!!!

Back