• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So sad..this baby needs help..

Thanks for highlighting this little pup. :)

This is the direct link to the dog charity and some additional info (thanks to the dobie people for looking after this little one!).

http://www.ddrinc.net/

Maybe people will consider a donation no matter how small as they are over a third of the way to their target. Also maybe people will consider crossposting the link to let others know.

I just donated too

Thanks for putting in that extra link Karlin. I have posted the link on my personal as well as my work's facebook page's. What an adorable baby

I sent a little donation yesterday as well. :) Again if anyone is thinking they cannot give much -- remember little amounts -- just a fiver for example -- all add up towards that grand total!

I see today they have jumped from having 36% of the operation funded yesterday to 65% today!! :wggle: Great news; hope they reach their target.

So if you see a doberman, give him or her a pat on the head as some nice doberman rescue people are doing a lot of work to get this little abandoned cavalier pup the surgery she needs. Am sure this is why the breeder left her in a shelter without explaining her health problems. :mad:

I sent a little donation too the other day when I first read this thread- I have the upmost sympathy with them- I now for a fact that if Charlie ever needs surgery on his heart that I would have to do some fundraising of my own to come up with the money x

Yay!

I'm so excited to see that their goal is even closer to being reached, looks like its around 70% now! :pi*no:

Last edited:
:( Dear little Echo-I just received this email

I am sorry that I could not update everyone over the weekend; however, I was in Boston at a family event and had no access to post to our web site.

Sadly, our sweet Echo left us and went to the bridge Saturday evening. She went suddenly, peacefully and without warning. We are all still in shock and completely heartbroken.

Echo was picked up by our board member from Cornell on Friday morning. At that time we were informed that despite how well she was doing post-surgery we should be aware the hole was much larger than they expected it to be. They also told us they decided to do another echocardiogram post-surgery. This is something that is not standard procedure, but they were curious because of the size of the hole. They explained that it showed her heart function had actually decreased after the surgery. Despite the decreased functionality, they felt this could be normal and the result of the surgery on her heart. She was ordered to complete crate rest for the next two weeks at which time they would repeat the echocardiogram to see where her heart was. Dr. Waxman also said reassured us that we made the best decision to move forward with the surgery sooner than later because her heart was already showing the effects of her condition.

For the next 24 hours sweet Echo seemed to be doing very well. She was eating, drinking, wagging her cute little tail and giving lots of kisses. We were so hopeful even though the information we received when we picked her up was not what we had hoped for. We still felt as though there was no chance she wouldn’t make it. We had heard from so many knowledgeable people that this surgery is a pretty routine procedure and most times the dogs make through just fine. Even Dr. Waxman stated that Cornell had not lost a dog to this surgery in five years, so we never thought for a second we would lose sweet Echo.

Saturday evening Echo’s foster momma fed her and took her out to potty. She seemed completely normal – no changes in behavior, appetite, etc. She was not lethargic or behaving any differently than she had before. After Echo pottied she went back into her little crate while her foster family ate dinner in the same room. During dinner they assumed she was sleeping while they were eating, but when they went to check on her after dinner they found that she had passed. They were shocked to say the least – they did not hear a peep out of her…she must have just gone to sleep. For her sake we are glad she did not suffer, but we are all so unbelievably sad.

For me personally – and for many of my volunteers – helping special needs dogs is one of the most rewarding parts of our rescue work. Helping the ones that others might not have helped and seeing it through is one of our greatest gifts.

We have successfully helped many dogs with special needs and not getting to see Echo go on to her very own ‘happily ever after’ is truly devastating. It will take quite awhile for us all to deal with this loss…

I spoke with Dr. Waxman at Cornell this morning to let him know that Echo had passed and he expressed his condolences. He also reassured me that we did everything possible to save her. He told me that her heart must have sustained more damage than we were aware of and it must not have been strong enough to rebound at this point.

Words can not express our gratitude to all of our supports for your extremely generous donations, your prayers, your positive thoughts and your love for Echo. She was such a special little girl and we know that if she could have she would have thanked each and every one of you with gentle puppy kisses.

For now, we are trying to take comfort in the fact that we did give her the best chance possible and during her last few weeks she knew safety, comfort and love. Her foster family could not have loved her more and right now they are all still numb while mourning the loss of one of the sweetest little girls they have ever met.

Again, thank you to our supporters for helping us give her this chance.

Godspeed sweet Echo! Run free at the bridge with all of those who went before you. Know that you will always be loved and missed by so many here….

Sincerely,

Sue Szyklinski

Aww sorry there was a sad ending!! :( Poor little echo reminded me of my Cassie so much too. At least she was given half a chance and passed away peacefully...x

I too just received that email..

I'm so sad..I cried when I read it. I'm just glad that she did not suffer and the kindness of others allows us to know that everything that could be done was done. Run free sweet baby*ng*l

I was so sad to read this. Her rescuers were truly an amazing group of people to do this for her. I'm relieved she was able to pass quietly and peacefully in her sleep. And her rescuers can know they did all they could for her.

Back