• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Aled's first show

Kate H

Aled, my rescue from a Welsh puppy farm, went to his first outdoor obedience show on Monday (he did a short training round at UK Toydog indoor show two weeks ago), It was a grey and very windy day, with rubbish blowing around and tents flapping, and because of the weather there were very few small dogs there. But my little Cavalier did two lots of faultless stays (1 minute sit, 2 minutes down) in a ring of German Shepherds and collies, and came 5th in his lowest class (OK, because of the weather there were only 8 in the class! But he only lost 8 marks out of 60). I trained his higher class, because he doesn't yet retrieve, and by that time he'd had enough so I cut it short. But I was so pleased that he coped so well, especially being separated from Oliver; he seemed amazingly relaxed and enjoying himself - such a contrast to when he arrived 15 months ago.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Aled, you are a MARVEL.......
BIGdogandpoog.gif

and Kate - you should rightly be VERY proud.
Cheerleaderpoogs.gif

Well done to you both - especially in that awful weather! Am thinking of you all at Cheltenham today and keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay a bit milder, drier and less windy for you. Do wish I could have joined you.

Well done Aled and definitely well done Kate for training him so well. It just shows what you can achieve with a rescue dog.
This will mean you will show us up at the training this weekend. Mind you that’s what we are there for to learn. I am looking forward to it, looks like the weather is going to be better too.

This will mean you will show us up at the training this weekend. .

I shouldn't worry - he'll probably be in one of his shut-down moods, when he just switches off! I still don't really know how his mind works, which means training is very hit and miss - he's certainly very different from Oliver.

See you Friday - weather looks good so far, so perhaps we won't freeze in our tents after all!.

Thanks Marie-Anne - I loved your cheerleaders! I didn't get to training today as the friend who gives me a lift has a bad cold, but I'll find out the next 3 months' dates at the weekend and let you know, it would be great if you could come.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

congratulations, and well done, you two!!cl*p

i am impressed how far you have already come with him after only 15 mos.

That s a fantastic effort for both of you! So cheering to hear of a little guy like that going from such a background to enjoying a competition like this, and learning such confidence and self control. What a fun day for you both and what a sense of achievement you must have had at the end of the day. :wggle:

Many thanks for all the congratulations. I think Oliver has done most of Aled's training - he gives him confidence and they practice stays together in all sorts of situations and try to get to the dumbell first! Aled will probably do everything wrong at his next show on 25 April, but that's competition obedience for you! I do think that under his worried exterior Aled has a superb Cavalier temperament, to have survived what seems to have been solitary confinement for the first 18 months of his life.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Aled, my rescue from a Welsh puppy farm, went to his first outdoor obedience show on Monday (he did a short training round at UK Toydog indoor show two weeks ago),enjoying himself - such a contrast to when he arrived 15 months ago.
Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am really impressed, training a rescue from a Puppy Farm must require an enormous amount of skill and patience. Much more difficult than training a puppy! Well done and congratulations.
smiley-happy005.gif

Oh goodness I'm sorry I missed this Kate :eek:

I think you have done an AMAZING job with Aled - it's a lot of work to train a puppy farm dog for everyday life, what you've achieved is fantastic b*n*n*b*n*n*

Good luck for the weekend - hoping for better weather for you, and please let us know how you get on...

Back