• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teddy

It is a devastating loss; I know how much Teddy was loved by you and Trevor. :cry*ing::cry*ing:

Your pictures and memories are so lovely; thank you for sharing them with us.

I know you have lost several deeply loved dogs to the horror of syringomyelia in a short space of time -- a terrible burden. :(

I hope researchers can continue to make progress so that fewer and fewer of this beautiful breed have lives that depend on a medication routine or surgery -- you yourself have so generously supported so many efforts yourself. :flwr: I was honoured that you let us name Rupert's Fund after one wonderful boy, and so sad that you have lost another to the same disease.

Teddy's lovely memorial here is a gentle reminder of why we all need to keep working to rid this breed of this terrible problem. No owner should have to bear such heartbreak, especially not more than once. :(

Oh no I am sorry to read this. What a beautiful boy he was. I have never had to make this decision but just thinking about it is unbearable so I can't even imagine what you must be going through. You are in my thoughts and prayers :hug:

Nicki and Trevor, thank you from the bottom of my heart

With Nicki's permission I would like to make people aware of what Nicki & Trevor have done for Cavaliers and the attempts to give them a healthier future.

Beautiful Teddy was volunteered to the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme. Nicki herself drove his little body to a pathology Centre where he donated cell tissue for five different schemes that are researching cavalier health issues.

He is now being cremated and Nicki will be taking his ashes home.

I find it hard to express my admiration for the bravery and generosity they have shown.

Rest In Peace Teddy.

Thank you Nicki & Trevor, my thoughts are with you.

I'm at a loss for words. I'm so very sorry Nicki :hug:My heart goes out to you and Trevor.

I too am really sorry to read about Teddy. Your photos of him are a lovely tribute to him. He was a beautiful dog, so handsome and full of personality. Reading about him just made me love my little doggies even more. Thank you for donating his cell tissue.
Charli :flwr:

I'm so sorry Nicki, I know what a special character Teddy was and how he inspired others to fall in love with Rubys.

My favorite photo of him will always be the one of him running along on the beach with a crab in his mouth with the look of shear joy, I often wondered how many times you had to chase him round the beach to get it off him.

Run free at the bridge sweet boy

Thanks Margaret; I am very glad Nicki gave permission to acknowledge this publicly as it is a very personal and generous act of dedication to cavalier breed research at a difficult time but means Teddy can help many other dogs in future. It is a beautiful tribute to a lovely dog and a very thoughtful act by Nicki and Trevor. :flwr:

There is more information on this scheme here. People in the UK may wish to contact Margaret privately for more information.

Nicki and Trevor, I am deeply saddened to read that your precious boy Tedbear has gone to the bridge :cry*ing:
It's just not fair to lose him so young :( My thoughts and prayers are with you both at this awful time :hug::hug:

Just want to add my own tearful tribute to your beautiful Ted-Bear, Nicki. The photos are stunning, and will bring joy to your heart in the future.

As the owner of an elderly SM afflicted ruby myself (my lovely Megan) I guess I shall be facing the same thing one day. I just hope I can be as brave as you.

Run free little man - and look out for all our Bridge Babies too
Rainbowbridgeintoclouds.gif

Still raw to read about other heartbreaking stories. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have to agree with others, yours were absolutely stunning. I hope you get over your severe period of grief in as short a time as practical, but it is not easy ( 5.5 weeks and counting ), but hopefully soon you can appreciate an look back with great fondness to the wonderful creatures and companions you had. Regards Steve

I am so sorry Nicki & hubby for the loss of Teddy. He was a beautiful boy and he looks so well in his pictures. That is how you will remember him. I love the one with his pal Cruz

Last edited:
With Nicki's permission I would like to make people aware of what Nicki & Trevor have done for Cavaliers and the attempts to give them a healthier future.

Beautiful Teddy was volunteered to the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme. Nicki herself drove his little body to a pathology Centre where he donated cell tissue for five different schemes that are researching cavalier health issues.

He is now being cremated and Nicki will be taking his ashes home.

I find it hard to express my admiration for the bravery and generosity they have shown.

Rest In Peace Teddy.

Thank you Nicki & Trevor, my thoughts are with you.
Nicki and Trevor, thank you for allowing Teddy to make a difference for the breed. Your generosity and compassion for others is so appreciated by many of us who are living with SM daily in our cavaliers, and by all who care about SM in the breed.

I'm so very for your loss of your beloved Teddy, who was such a special boy. :( Be kind to yourselves and let your cavaliers comfort you with their affection and warmth, as only these little spaniels can do.

I will miss Teddy too, my favorite boy; he was, and always will be, the loveliest ruby boy on this earth. Thank you for posting these lovely photos of him. Someone else alluded to your beach series photographs, special favorites of mine too, where he had so much fun with his buddies. :flwr::flwr:

Thank you very much for all the beautiful messages, it means so much to us. It's good to have such a thoughtful and caring community at these hard times.

I have not been able to come onto the forum until now, Trevor has been reading your messages to me, also the lovely PMs we have received. Thank you all - I will reply to the PMs but please bear with me.

We really appreciate the support you have shown, it's wonderful that so many of you loved Teddy too - and have memories of him from our stories and photographs.

I think this is the crab one!!

_MG_2076.jpg
_MG_2076.jpg

It was hard to pick just a few - I think we have over 500 photos of Teddy :eek:

A few more special ones

What's this then??

AdjTedBear_MG_3481.jpg

Sorting Jack out :)

IMG_1173.jpg

With his special friend Rupert

AdjRupertTeddy151055.jpg

It was hard to put Teddy through the SM Collection Scheme but it is a huge comfort that his passing was not in vain - and hopefully the research may mean that in the future our beloved companions no longer suffer with these devastating conditions.

Nicki I am so sorry to hear about Teddy, he was obviously a very much loved dog and so happy in the photo's.
Hopefully soon you will be able to look back and think of all the wonderful times you and your husband shared with him.
Take care
Pam

We are thinking of you at such a sad time, I am so sorry Teddy lost his battle the photographs are beautiful and thank you for sharing these with us.
kindest regards. :hug:

I am so sorry to read of your loss. :(

What a beautiful boy Teddy was and, if I may say so, what fantastic photographs.

Cherish your memories, and take care of yourselves,

Nick

nicki--
i haven't been on cavaliertalk in a very long time. this morning my daughter lisa called to tell me Belle has gone completely deaf, just this morning, she'd been to the vet. i came to cavaliertalk wanting to find info about adapting to deafness. looking down the list of forums, i saw the memorium with the name Teddy--that always will catch my eye because my first dog's name was Teddy (a girl spaniel). how painful to read your post, each photo made me cry, it hurts. when i finished your post, i realized i had two pots cookig on the stove and had not even heard the two alarms that went off to remind me when to go back and check and stir, the soup was boiling over and the water was going dry. i remember when ted bear went to have his MRI.

talking to lisa earlier this morning, i said to her, well, one good thing, Belle is 5 now and still no sign of SM. lisa laughed through her tears. But it's true, how can such sweet animals get such a cruel disease. :(

i'm so sorry for what you all have been through, at least teddy's pain is over but sadly, not for those he left behind. thank you for the wonderful photos and story of real life. your donation immortalizes little ted in such a loving way, making a difference for the better

So sorry, it feel terrible at the moment. Such a beautiful boy and dispite his illness looked so happy. I understand how sad you and your husband must be feeling:hug:

I am so sorry to read about Teddy. Such a beautiful boy! Thank you for sharing your lovely photo`s with us, but most of all thank you for what you have done through the SM Collection Scheme.
Run free like the wind lovely Teddy....................

Back