Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natural Instinct Barf Food

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi kizzys mum

If any do have loose poos shall I just persevere ,and you you just switch over or shall I lead in with say 50/50 for a couple of days.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

We just did a straight switch, kibble for dinner one day, then raw for breakfast the next. I would just persevere, but maybe change over on a day when you're at home!
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like

Molly has been eating fresh ground veg/fruit and chopped wing. Dougall & Dotty eat Royal Canin with a bit of veg and chopped chicken wing. I have still been having problems with the dreaded anal glands.... I have now reduced the amount of Royal Canin, increased the fruit and veg but introduced sardines and whitebait (Brians Suggestion). I have also included a little bit of natural yoghurt. Unitil a few days ago there were definately one or two suspicious looking poohs! Today, the poohs are looking good.

As far as the wings are concerned, I will still feed them once/twice per week, I chop them up because greedy Molly swallowed one whole, she brought it back up immediately we were lucky!
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks Kizzys Mum

But I think if theres sloppy ones about I will change over on a weekday when I am at work ,as Dawn is at home full time to look after them.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, may not be the best way to convince her that raw is the way forward
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

My BARF book arrived that Kizzys mum advised so I shall have a good read tonight .The girls are doing fine on their 50/50 mix though I still haven't the courage to try chicken bones but I did buy two neck bones from Natural Instinct which are still in the freezer but they seem much too big for our little Cavaliers ,look more like somebody's left leg ,so I doubt if any of mine could even lift them never mind eat them .

I phoned Natural Instinct for some guidance and spoke to a very helpful guy who when I asked about chicken bones told me he was just sending an email answering the same question to Sky T V who are doing a programme about Pets and Their Problems and N.I. have been assisting them .Not sure if its a series or a one off but they think its for broadcast next month ,and one of their tasks was to help a windy Pug who was cured after a month of their natural Barf .And Lily ate her two little pieces of calamari ,one king prawn and one green lipped mussel.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

I feed Primal Pets frozen raw dinner occasionally, when Sophie is going to be boarded. It's got some ingredients that help hold the stuff together better. What I feed her most of the time is Oma's Pride frozen raw dinners. That brand has less stuff in it like herbs, etc., that I'm not sure a dog needs. IN our case, Sophie has so many allergies, I figure let's keep her possible triggers to a minimum.
    Here's the web site, and you can see the list of ingredients. Very simple recipe, and what you see listed on their site is what's in the package.
    http://www.omaspride.com/products.htm

Prices here run approximately $3 to $4/lb for the frozen pre-mixed raw food. Scroll down from the link above and you'll see the pricing, plus there is shipping to add on.

I can't buy raw meat much cheaper than that, then the cost of some veggies, all the labor of mixing, etc. and I don't have a large freezer space for buying in bulk. I only have the one dog, and she gets roughly 7 ounces per day, so we won't have to sell the homeplace any time soon. If I had four dogs, I'd have to do it differently.

Post Thanks / Like

Natural Instinct have now brought out a "working dog" food, which looks very similar to the chicken variety, with chicken, bone, veg and supplements. The price for 40kg is 84 instead of the 98 chicken variety (presumably due to the lack of VAT).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We spend hours checking different diets for our dogs, making sure they get everything they need, now here is a little story.
    I look after Maltese Terrier called Bertie, he is 13 years 8 months. Since the age of 14 weeks he has been fed on Marks & Spencer's Honey Roasted Chicken
    Nothing else, no biscuits, no treats. He is not fat or skinny does not have any health problems apart from a few stiff joints for which he gets Metacam. So whats right or wrong?
    Food for thought.

Nanette
    HollyDolly